Griffin iClear case question

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by insaneIpod, Oct 14, 2009.

1. insaneIpod

insaneIpod New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hello everyone. I just recently purchased an Ipod Touch 64GB and the Griffin iClear case from Best Buy. First off, I really like the case, I mainly bought it because it has a removable belt clip/video stand. It does get some dust underneath it sometimes, but it's not a big deal.

So my question is, does it scratch up the back of the Ipod? The only reason i'm asking is cause I was reading some reviews for it and someone said that it was scratching up the back of their Ipod.

Does anyone know???

BTW here's a link to the exact case.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...clear&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1217029959937
  2. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    im pretty sure any hard case will scratch up the back of your ipod. im sure someone will disagree, but if the plastic itself will scratch it, it will be worse when its combined with the dirt that gets inside. i can't tell you how many ads i've seen that go something along the lines of "there are a few scratches on the back, all of them are from taking my case off and putting it on."
  3. insaneIpod

insaneIpod New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Oh ok. So it's just from taking it on and off? Cause I have removed it a couple of times, but I was very careful to not let the plastic hit or rub against the back. And there weren't any scratches yet.
  4. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

u need to always be carefull and it might not scratch, but eventually it will get scratched
  5. TDG

TDG Active Member

Your best bet is to buy a Speck CandyShell. It has a rubber interior which will prevent dust from getting under and scratching your iPod, but it has a hard plastic exterior, so it has the same amount of protection as the iClear case. I used to have the iClear case and I was very dissatisfied.
  6. Hellishness

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ^the candyshell wont prevent dust from getting under, the silicone will just decrease the likeliness that the dust will actually scratch it. the silicone lets the dust kinda just settle there and not rub against the device. if you want complete scratch protection, saran wrap it under the case, or get a film like InvisibleShield.
  7. twilighter

twilighter Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ok i agree with the first part.
    but DO NOT SARAN WRAP UR IPOD. who does that?
    dont even get an invisbleshield cause a lot of cases arent compatible with it.
    im pretty sure the candyshell isnt.

no case can really prevent the accumulation of dust, but some work better than others.

and i think griffin just makes sh*tty cases. i bought a griffin elan form with the sky blue trim. the case is BEAUTIFUL! but the quality, not so much.
    leather is nice. the plastic trim isnt. easy to break and easy to bend.
    the case is hard to take off, and i had to like bend the sides in order to take it off.
    and it gave my ipod a scratch, a rainbowey scratch.

complete crap if you ask me.
  8. insaneIpod

insaneIpod New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Great responses! I was thinking about getting the candyshell case, since they finally have a color I like, but I really like the belt clip/video stand. What I don't understand is how can dust scratch it just from getting under the case? Cause the case isn't rubbing against the iPod, and I make sure that when I take the case off that I don't rub it against the back of my iPod.
  9. Hellishness

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    well, the case will inevitably flex around the ipod a little bit. i have never seen an iClear, so i dont know what parts of the case actually touch the ipod, i know that if you have an incase slider, many people say that the bars that touch the ipod/iphone on the back will leave vertical scratches across the back.

and I saran wrap my iphone. is there something wrong with wanting it to be in great condition when i want to put on an invisible shield (which i plan on doing soon)? nobody but me knows that theres wrap under the case, and it protects it from dust scratching it.
  10. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

invisibleshield / BSE / Bodyguardz dont work w/ cases because...
    the rubbing against case peels off the glue
    cases are designed to be tight-fit so just a few mm of added thickness makes it not fit
    the back is textured to provide extra grip and leads to the protector sheet thing getting pwned