Greyed out wifi problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Robinson777, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Robinson777

Robinson777 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    ok so recently my ipod's wifi just decided to stop working. i know its specifically the ipod because i have other devices on my wireless and even my brothers ipod touch on the same connection is working. i cant even click the wifi box its completely greyed out. ive reset, rebooted, and even restored my ipod multiple times and nothing has worked. ive even let the battery drain completely. this is a 1st gen ipod touch also so it is out of warranty. if anyone can help or if anyone has also had this problem please let me know how u fixed it. again since i restored i am not on a jailbroken ipod and im on the 3.0 firmware. thanks
  2. vdude45

vdude45 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Dude, I have the exact same iPod as you and had that problem but i rebooted and everything worked.
  3. Robinson777

Robinson777 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    lucky....im just gonna reboot a bagillion times
  4. LaffyTaffy

LaffyTaffy New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I had this same problem, for some odd reason rebotting it I had my wifi but after another reboot I didnt, It was on and off, it sucks you dont have warrenty, because I did a DFU restore and got it replaced from apple (lost mai engraving :'O) odds are your wifi chip is broken/messed up
  5. Robinson777

Robinson777 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    ok i think my wifi is completely dead....i rebooted like 5 times, nothing......then i left it off all night, nothing....

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. vdude45

vdude45 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Oh man, that sucks. I would think, that since it is greyed out, the CPU doesn't see any wifi chip, so maybe go to the "Genius" bar.

You could try to shake it to try and and connect the wifi chip back.

Or the extreme, open it and resolder.

Or your wifi chip could be DEAD. Sorry, but you an get a new iPod in September.
  7. Robinson777

Robinson777 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    thats what i was thinkin vdude....and yeah lol i can get a new one in september i guess lol
  8. Robinson777

Robinson777 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    any other suggestions before i smash it with a hammer??
  9. emery72

emery72 New Member

By smash it with a hammer are you going to destroy it? This is a great opportunity to open that puppy up take a look inside. What if it is a simple fix?
  10. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You can download WikiTrak from the App Store, and see if it can detect your Wi-Fi.

If it can, something happened with your Settings, and you'll have to put it in DFU Mode, and Restore.

Also, you can download the iPhone Configuration Utility, set up a configuration profile that links to your Wi-Fi, and install it on your device for automatic connectivity.