Greyed Out No-Wifi on iPod Touch (1G)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Atrollincentralpark, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Atrollincentralpark

Atrollincentralpark New Member

My friends ipod touch has encountered the no wi-fi problem, the wi-fi button permanently displays no wi-fi and isnt clickable.

I saw that there was a fix to this problem from the Dev Team for the iPhone >>> http://wikee.iphwn.org/sgold_bootrom:fixwifi <<<

but it requires open ssh and mobile terminal, which are not on the ipod. Is there a way to get those programs onto the ipod touch without wi-fi or a different method of fixing the wi-fi?

Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    have you rebooted? That happened to me one time and that fixed it.
  3. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

or your friend can jailbreak his ipod. then he would a able to get that kind of stuff.
  4. Atrollincentralpark

Atrollincentralpark New Member

How can I get it on there without wi-fi lol? I cant download anything through Cydia and I havent figured a way to install open ssh in iphone browser
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    sigh this is tough.....really not sure what move to make next
  5. rel31

rel31 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    duude, i'm in the same boat. I've actually had this problem for the past few months now and i barely use my ipod now. I'm not sure if this is the same for you but my battery dies super quick too. I'm not sure if these 2 problems go together. I called apple a few months ago and they said they never heard of the problem and my warranty was done so he said there's nothing i could do but send it in for repair to fix the wifi problem and battery which costs more than a brand new ipod.
  6. Gambit

Gambit New Member

same issue!
    I think we are going to see this more often with people...I wonder if it's chip problem that more people are gonig to see with there 1g. I got mine when it first came out so lets see if more people will have this issue....I can only hope it will be like a xbox problem...and apple will just fix but that is totaly wishful thinking.

Here is my story:
    Was surfing on my 1g ipod touch and my wifi disconnected. Tried to do a scan and nothing...Tried reset on networks still nothing. Did restore 4 times nothing. Let it sit for about 2 hours and wifi worked again for about 3 secs and disconnected on a page load in the browser. Left it on over night and it worked again for about 3 mins then disconnected again. Now all it does is scan for networks and never shows anything. No matter how long I let it sit.

So I downgraded to 1.1.4 and wifi was grayed out. Restored to 2.2.1 and samething jsut scans. So I think it's hardware. Sucks because I didn't get the apple care...I know I should have got it.

EDIT:
    just found this
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8799625?
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/08/iphone_wifi_again/

I think it's a know issue...going to apple store tomorrow
  7. gully666uk

gully666uk New Member

I have this problem too, sending it back to apple is not an option and i cant afford a new ipod.
  8. Gambit

Gambit New Member

I think this is getting to be an bigger issue. More and more people are seeing this.

I went to apple and they gave me a new one with a little arm twisting. I think everyone with this issue needs to contact apple...they need to be aware that this is a hardware issue that they need to address.
  9. rel31

rel31 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok...i have NO IDEA how, but i recently noticed my ipod's battery was lasting a lot longer than before and then i checked my wifi just for kicks and for some reason it works now! I was so stoked and really don't know why it decided to work again. And i was really thinking about getting a new one too. But yea, hope whoever has this problem has the same luck that i did.
  10. wombatthing

wombatthing New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hardware Problem

I recently had this problem too after I opened my ipod touch to repair my home button. It is a hardware problem and you can fix it by opening your ipod and looking where the black plastic is you will see a piece of metal and if you stretch it out a little bit it will connect with the ipods wifi connector and there...you have wifi.