"greyed out" apps

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by richardcav, Jan 18, 2010.

1. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have an ipod touch 3g 64gb. I just bought a new laptop, but I had my account set up on the older xp system, and it worked great...flawless.

I installed ITunes on the Windows 7 laptop, and the system won't recognize the my ipod. It shows up as a camera. I know all ipods appear as a camera, but this is different, and Itunes won't recognize it. I tried everything. So I switched over to XP mode, and the ipod is recognized. Problem is, the apps section is greyed out, even though I can see the apps under the grey. there's no response when I click on it.

OK, here's another part of the story. My sister just purchased the same ipod I have. She couldn't get her ipod to be recognized by her Win XP system. She somehow got hold of the older version of itunes and she has a lame dialup that took hours to download the itunes app. I asked her to mail me her ipod and I'd set it up for her. I took her ipod and set it up on my older flawless system as another device, but it also showed the greyed out app screen.

I clicked on "restore from backup", which did set up her ipod with just the bare essentials. I didn't expect this to happen. I expected all programs and music to transfer to her ipod, however, I prefer this since I paid too much money and time for all these apps and music just to hand over to her willy-nilly, so I was elated that these didn't transfer. I sent it back to her along with a copy of the itunes setup program for her computer.

However, this also made me realize that "restore from backup isn't an option for my own ipod, or I'd lose everything.

SO...I have one system I'm trying to wean from that will read and recognize...One system that will work (I assume), but won't recognize the ipod...and one that recognized the ipod but won't recognize the files on it.

Before I get lectures, my sister's ipod is authentic, I only opened up her ipod so she could use the basics and install her own music, and sent her back her ipod and a copy of itunes 9.

Any suggestions how I can get my ipod the work the way it does on my older laptop?

Thx!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I just plugged in my ipod to update it, which ALWAYS asks me every time I plug the blasted thing in! NOT ONLY DID IT NOT INSTALL THE UPDATE, BUT IT WIPED MY IPOD PUTTING IT INTO THE ORIGINAL STAGE!

NOW WHAT AM i SUPPOSED TO DO??!! i LOST EVERY THING!! I HATE APPLE!!
  2. Fo Sho

Fo Sho Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    • Irrelevant/off-topic posts
    idk brah
  3. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sorry for my rant. I freaked out. I backed it up a week ago, so I hope that helps. I had to do a complete restore, beginning like the ipod is new.

Apparently, unlike my sister's ipod, my serial number is recognized, because after the restore, it gave me a choice to treat it as if it's brand new, or restore it from the last backup. I am going to back up my pod every time I download a program or score any high points in a game.

OK, I've been told that I can still gain the apps I've purchased even if I wasn't able to back it up. What can I do to reload those apps?

Thanx, Fo Sho, for your reply. At least I know I'm being heard.
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You can re-download any purchased app for free. When you click "buy", iTunes will tell you that the update is free.
  5. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Cool! Thanx!