Greetings and my stance on os 3.0's Bluetooth capability

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by sonomagtln2, Jul 1, 2009.

1. sonomagtln2

sonomagtln2 New Member

Hi all, the need to express my comments on the 3.0 firmware and an increased interest to post on this forum has brought me out of the lurker realm. Anyways, I have a 2G 16Gb Touch I purchased last November and have been happy with it thus far. The notion of having bluetooth in 3.0 is what brought me to skip the extra value meal this week and buy the upgrade. Needless to say I am happy, but not thoroughly impressed. Because my focus was having bluetooth I figured I'd share a few of my comments. My judgments are based on a comparison I did between my phone's (alias2) capability and the touch's while using bluetooth on both. I used a Samsung SBH-500 headset for the evaluation.

1. Connecting the headset to the touch was simple enough the first time, but the 2nd and 3rd time required about the same amount of time and I have not found a way to expedite reconnecting...maybe an icon on the home screen or separate icons to "connect" to previously paired peripheral devices on the home screen?

2. No surprise that play and pause were the only features of my headphone the ipod recognized (as mentioned in this forum). The volume control was only controlled on the headphone, but still a convenience.

3. LAG

Please Register or Log in to view images

. My biggest "x" in the iPod-lose column is the lag I've experienced on the touch (compared to my alias2). The multimedia interface sucks on my phone so I am trying to avoid using it for music, but there is literally no lag between what I am commanding on my phone and what I hear thru my headset. On the iPod there is up to a second worth of lag and re-pairing the headset, restarting, etc did not help. Don't even get me started on videos. The point of issue is that since there is no lag on my phone and there is lag on the touch, my guess is the problem does not lie in the headphones...regardless of a Samsung-Samsung compared to an Apple-Samsung connection the Bluetooth protocol is there for a reason...standardization.

4. The high pitch sound quality seems to be slightly poorer when streaming from the iPod (and is made worse as the volume is turned up)...it almost sounds like cymbal hits are being aliased or crushed. As for any background noise, the iPod seems to win in that department. Overall quality the iPod seems to have a richer/fuller sound compared to my phone, but the high pitch issue is annoying. My phone also has a tendency to time-stretch (if that's the word for it) to where the songs sound like they are on a warped vinyl...take it for what it's worth.

5. Connecting to peripherals. No surprise that I can't tether to my phone, but I would have bought os 3.0 for twice or three times more if I could have tethered for internet connections (3 weeks of skipping the super value meal). I expected to be able to connect to my iMac in order to sync for songs, etc, but that hope was dashed when my iMac told me nothing was supported. Maybe in a later version? My phone has the same lack of support for connection to the iMac, so no win/lose here.

6. Outside of the bluetooth, os 3.0 seems to run much smoother to me and web browsing seems quicker. Could just be my perception, but to me it was noticeable.

I didn't want to turn this into a rant, but maybe that's how it's going to come across. I still love my iPod, but I think Apple could make quite a few improvements in the next version release. I kind of feel like the bluetooth portion of this was an afterthought. Also another note on the lag complaint, I recall seeing a post by an iPhone user that they did not have media-lag before the 3.0 upgrade and now they do. Any ideas on what happened here?

AJ
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    This has got to the the most comprehensive first post on this site. Thanks for your input.

Welcome!
  3. sonomagtln2

sonomagtln2 New Member

Haha thanks...I just had to get a few concerns off my chest!
  4. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Nice post. Very well explained. Now to reread it and fully understand it instead of zoning out.

Edit: I fully understand! This time i did not zone out!