GREAT Idea for a dev team --> In Regards to MobileMaps.app (check this idea out!)

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Application Compatibility' started by Jodymitoma, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

Okay, so, as most of you know, on firmware 1.1.3 and Google's MobileMaps.app, you are able to get directions from point A, to point B, very easily. This feature is in fact quite fancy, and is really nicely made.

BUT...

The problem is, this feature only works in WiFi covered areas, yes?..

WHAT WE NEED, IS THIS:

We need someone to do a bit of editing, so that when you search for a certain point A to point B, you can SAVE this route onto the iPod Touches memory.

I mean, that would be ABSOLUTELY amazing. All you would need to do is add a button to the MobileMaps.app, that would look like a Floppy Disk, which would enable users to "SAVE" the last route they searched for.

This way, you can ALWAYS have the exact route to get from point a's to point b's... and just think about it. You can sit at home, use your WiFi Internet, make a list of 10 or 20 point a to point b's that you need (your house to mall, your house to friends house, your house to work, your house to a new city, a new state... ect.) This would be absolutely smart, and absolutely useful for both me, and I'm sure many MANY other iPod users out there.

If there are any Dev teams out there looking to do this for me/us, please, do post in this thread.

This would mean more to me than anything.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thank you!

Please, do feel free to discuss.
  2. lvlln

lvlln New Member

I believe doing that would require knowing the source code to mobilemaps, which no one outside of Apple and its partners have.
  3. in/flux

in/flux New Member

Yeah, that would be awesome.
    I don't know if it is plausible to edit mobilemaps, though.
    If not, an app to scrape driving directions and start/finish images from google and save it to the disk.

Hell, I could write this in PHP and deploy it on Apache.
  4. Breakfast_Clubber

Breakfast_Clubber New Member

...have you ever... used... mobilemaps off wifi? once you load a to/from route, a snapshot of every turn is saved along with the driving directions, even when you're off wifi. I must agree though, had this feature not already been available i would be begging for it too. also, i may be wrong, as i've only used 1.1.1 mobilemaps.
  5. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

If this is true, and it actually does load up everything ..... I'll . be . damned .

But, still, it would be nice to have a LIST of all point a to point b's you've decided to save.

6. Vision_Again

Vision_Again New Member

Device:
    iPad
    tht would take installing all kinds of maps on your ipod which would take much space !!
    btw we got our jb workin 100%=] try it
  7. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

No, it wouldn't take having to have all kinds of maps on your ipod.... All it has to do is save whatever area's you need from point a to point b... That is probably 0.5% of an entire city, which would take up nearly no room at all.

btw, you had no reason to talk about your jailbreak in this thread.. It has nothing to do with jailbreaking. You're just attempting to advertise your jailbreaking method... There isn't a need for that. Your jailbreak method is known enough as it is. I already know about your method, and I'm already fully jailbroken with the app pack sh*t, but thank you anyway.
  8. tjfoz

tjfoz New Member

Even so, you could just save the "List" function of maps, cuz its just text.

But yes, I have always wanted this done !! Great minds think alike.
  9. rodrigo220

rodrigo220 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I guess it is possible.
  10. plokiju

plokiju New Member

I think time capsule saves your maps cache. If someone just put that into the maps app that would be great.