Great Expectations

Discussion in 'Front page news archive' started by News Bot, Apr 11, 2010.

1. News Bot

News Bot iFans.com News

2. Unreal Boy

Unreal Boy Member

Device:
    iPad
    I am kind of feeling a bit of remorse, but that mainly because I have only used my iPad like once, keeping it safe and clean in the box till my invisible shield gets here. Once I get my wireless network setup and the Jailbreak for iPad is released, I'll be able to experience the devices full potential
  3. dannykk

dannykk New Member

how can change operation to macos. if my mac software can run on it , it will be more fun.
  4. iMan

iMan New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I have not put mine down (so to speak) since I got it. I even forgot where I put my Thinkpad that I used to use all the time and had to go looking for it so I could get a password that I had forgotten.

This new generation of device has become the most used product in the house. All the kids want to us it and even the wife hi-jacks it from time to time. I will probably have to buy another one just to have mine to myself.

It has exceeded all of the expectations I have had for it. Yes it does require caution to carry it around due to the nature of the design but that is not stopping us from using it about 18 hours a day. I am toying with the idea of a case for it but I have to go look at the ones in the Mac Store to get a feel for them before I commit to one.

All in all it is the best device I have bought in a long time. In another week I will probably sell my old PC on the net and be done with it for ever.

iPad = Home Run for me.
  5. Our_Mountain_of_Ideas

Our_Mountain_of_Ideas New Member

Device:
    iPad
    For me, the iPad is far beyond what I expected.

My MacBook is now used strictly for development, Web Design (for now), and photoshop. I use my iPad for everything else.

I was in line at Best Buy at 9AM on the 3rd when they were handing out tickets to pick up an iPad. I was going to get a 16GB, but at the last minute I decided to spend the extra $100 for the 32GB. I'm glad that I did, as the extra room will go to good use. The hardware is powerful, but thin and light. It's basically twice the weight of a 1G iPhone/iPod Touch.

I know some people complained at the lack of a USB port, but they seem to forget that a USB port itself is thicker than the edge of the iPad. The entire device would need to be thicker to support USB ports. Personally, I would much rather have a thinner device than a USB or two.

The lack of flash support, to me, is a GREAT thing. Less ads, less crap on some sites, and faster page loading. How anyone can look at this as a bad thing is beyond me.

In my opinion, the iPad is even more revolutionary than Apple made it out to be in the January Keynote. I firmly believe that the iPad will wipe out netbooks entirely, and take a large chunk of laptop sales. If software companies have any kind of logic, they'll quickly release iPad versions of their software at reasonable prices, as this device is clearly gaining a very strong foothold with well over 500,000 sales in the first few days.

From my standpoint as a developer, the iPad is an amazing platform to work with. There is so much that can be done with it. You have the revolutionary aspect of touch interaction, paired with a large display and an efficient OS to work with. For me, it's a lot of fun, and allows me to build better, more in-depth applications.
  6. William

William New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Thank you for the great insight provided in this thread. Another question that came to my mind:

Would you use your iPad outside?

Currently I have no problems using my laptop outside. Would you use an iPad, outside your home? Despite the glare, opportunities to drop it and perhaps the weird holding factor
  7. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I 100% love my iPad. The I have been reading ePubs of magazines/books/etc that I normally wouldn't have gone out to a store to purchase. The video experience is awesome, and the free ABC player app is epic, as I never get a chance to watch their shows (modern family comes to mind). It is good for email and the keyboard is still taking some getting used to. I can't wait for a jailbreak though.
  8. Our_Mountain_of_Ideas

Our_Mountain_of_Ideas New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Funny you should mention that. I was just outside a bit ago, thinking about how nice it would be to sit down out there and read a good book on my iPad.

Personally, I'd have no problem taking my iPad outside, as long as the weather was nice. I'd keep it in it's Apple case, but aside from that, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to use it outside. As far as glare is concerned, it's entirely a non-issue if you change the angle of the device. With the huge viewing range on the screen, this isn't something that is even worth complaining about.
  9. jeisom

jeisom New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I Love it. Been using it more the my Desktop computer, which I was using heavily before. Only complaint is the limited app store and some greedy devs that want you to buy app twice, once for iPod and once for iPad, for the almost exact same content. For games they could get in app purchase for previous versions to and Hi-res skins and models instead of making us repurchase for proper support. I can kinda understand for somethings that are almost complete rewrites to the app.
  10. iMan

iMan New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I use my iPad outside in the garage quite a bit. It doesn't have a problem with the light but I am worried about dropping it after too many refreshments. I will be getting a case for it for ease of use outside.