GPS recievers

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Raven1469, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Raven1469

Raven1469 New Member

Is the iGPS360 the only one out there?

Edit: I did a little reading and found the xGPS app. My question is, do we need an adapter for that?
  2. Deadhead

Deadhead New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    iGPS360 works and so does the one made by xGPS. It is not as compact though. Both plug right into the iPod. I am not sure if there others besides those 2.
  3. Raven1469

Raven1469 New Member

I guess I'm confused. I have the ipt2g so first I need to buy the iGPS360 adapter right? THEN get xGPS app? I can't just get the app and dont need the adapter?
  4. thehacker123

thehacker123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    if you want real gps, then you need an adapter. the ipod does not have gps built in
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    on that note... does anyone know how to make xGPS download all zoom levels of a given area? or how do i download them on my pc and put them on the ipod?
  5. Raven1469

Raven1469 New Member

Cool. Thanks for your help! Im gonna pick up the iGPS360 tonight!
  6. thehacker123

thehacker123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    me too... no just to figure out where the map downloads go.....

I am currently downloading most of Philadelphia, and South Jersey. I have 12gb+ free on my ipod, so i am going to download ~3gb of maps

You need a tool called Global Map Download Tool(GMDT)This program downloads the various maps for your area at different levels of zoom. http://www.in7ane.com/psp/gmdl0.5.10a.zip
    1-Run GMDT (\GMDL\bin\Debug\Global Map Download Tool.exe).In the “Browse” tab,find the location you want to download.Hit the “Preview 1x” button to see a preview of what GMDT will download.Put your map name into “Map Name (start with _) box.
    2-The window will pop asking you which parts of the map you want to download.You can select the various zoom levels to

Please Register or Log in to view images

n the left hand side it’ll tell you how much space it’ll take.Try to keep it under 2GB.Now click the long button left of the “Cancel” button.
    3. GMDT will now begin downloading all the map tiles… be patient since this could take a very long time depending on what you selected.
    4. When it finishes, click “OK”
    5. Now click “xGPS” on the top right.This will convert it to a xGPS DB file.
    6. Enter in a map name,output directory,also uncheck the “No 1x Map”, leave everything else alone.Click to begin the conversion.
    7-Click “OK”
    8.You now have files... place them here, name them: xGPS_map.db
    9. Use WinSCP or DiskAid to transfer the file in to/private/var/mobile/Library/
    I just bought mine!
  7. Raven1469

Raven1469 New Member

Cool that's good stuff there son =) Thanks for the help with it...I'm just thinking if I'm REALLY going to use this thing. I have always wanted a GPS but they have been to much. This is a hell of a price and does the same darn thing!
  8. veryniceipod

veryniceipod Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Would adding a GPS receiver like the iGPS360 allow your iPod to use CoreLocation with the receiver so you can use your location system-wide? Or is it only with the xGPS app?
  9. thehacker123

thehacker123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    good question. I don't know the answer. I will tell you as soon as my iGPS360 comes. It shipped about 10 minutes ago.

My guess is no out of the box, but a hack might do it.
  10. veryniceipod

veryniceipod Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yeah I figured the same, and if it does get CoreLocation support I will buy this thing without hesitation.