"GPS" On the iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ipwnnubletz, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Ipwnnubletz

Ipwnnubletz Banned

I use Google Maps a lot. I browse around my house, my school, etc, for fun. So the map data is all in my cache. Ok. I also use the location finder feature. I've tested it out in both the Google Earth app and the Google Maps app. Both track me down to the very spot my house is. So one day I went out for a walk, and opened up Google Maps. The cache data was displayed. I tapped the location finder button on the bottom left. It zoomed in on my location. Seriously. And I wasn't near my house's Wifi at all. And as I walked around, the little circle moved to where I was. I found this to be a little strange, and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I dunno if people will believe me, but if you choose to, then great, you can help me figure out what's going on. If you don't, then don't flame, and just don't post on this topic. Thanks. Leave your experiences.
  2. Alpacaman

Alpacaman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Whoa! Creepy. I thought it used your ip address to track you, so are you sure there wasn't an unsecured wifi network nearby? If not, that's really cool!

As for it finding my house, no luck there. It puts me as in the South Island of New Zealand, which is correct, but a little nonspecific...
  3. Kanga

Kanga New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No, it's not an actual GPS. When I hit "Find my location", I get varying results based on who's wireless I'm on. Sometimes it'll find my house, sometimes only my country, and a bunch of times just the whole Asia-Pacific region. Useless really!

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. roboticos

roboticos New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Freaky, dude.
  5. OCP

OCP Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I got the wifi on at my home, Im in the Chicago land area, google maps is telling me Im near Cleveland Ohio...lol