Gps on itouch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by noman, Sep 12, 2009.

1. noman

noman Banned

Is there really an app where i can use a gps i saw some like Tomtom but is it really possible?

Is there an app were i can right a location i want to go and it will tell me doesn't have to be turn by turn signal just the roads and main stuff?
  2. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I have the Orange Gadgets GPS360 add-on.

I use XGPS app, found in Cydia.

I supplement it with other useful apps, like Mapquest, Rest Area, Around Me.

XGPS app even has voice directions if you like.

Serial GPS app, found in Cydia, allows the Orange Gadgets GPS360 add-on to run Apple Store GPS apps.

I am not going to purchase Tom Tom to find out, if it runs. I am happy with the XGPS app.
  3. noman

noman Banned

so xgps shows me directions?
  4. adamnewy

adamnewy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    you cant do it on a ipod touch no gps ok dont know what that guy is on about
  5. Xii

Xii New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Actually you can.

Also TomTom's upcoming GPS car kit will work with the iPod touch.
  6. Gorillatouch

Gorillatouch New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    How can you use the iPod touch as a GPS unit? What I got from that article is just that you can use your iPod touch with the TomTom unit so it just sounds like a stereo plug so you can plug in the ipod instead of using a 3.5 audio cable or an FM transmitter.
  7. mck2657

mck2657 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The Tom Tom car dock has a separate GPS module embedded in it, which provides the iPod touch with a GPS signal. The Orange Gadgets GPS360 works similiarly, with a GPS dongle that attaches to the iPod touch providing the signal.
  8. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    mck2657,

Thank you.

The Orange Gadgets GPS360 is a GPS receiver "add-on" manufactured specifically for the iPod Touch, I think, since the Touch 1G. Now running on Touch 2G 3.0 and, I understand, entirely backwards compatible to older versions.

I have one for my iPod Touch 2G 3.0.

It is a strong receiver.

It works great.

The xGPS software, available in Cydia, works great.

It does everything, voice directions included.

It is freeware. I have it.

I also have the Serial GPS software available in Cydia, for compatibility with the Apple Store GPS apps. I have several, and they work.

I said I have these, I use them and they work great.

Since my website http:ultralightbackpackingonline.info is based on over 40 years experience, maybe just maybe, I know something about the subject.

I put up my website, in 2002, to directly take on the ignorance in Backpacker Magazine (used to read that month's issue to know what stupid things people will be doing soon, and need to be rescued) and all the Ray Jardine "Ray Way" nonsense.

I even paid for ads on "their" Google Search page results.

I have promoted having devices, like SPOT, available in the continuous US (not just Alaska, or on the ocean). I have promoted self rescue "beacons" of every type in and outside of amateur radio.

I suppose I know about such things, also because I have a FCC General Class amateur radio license, callsign w7cjd.

In addition, I am a "Season Champion" Division R (Newport 30 "Bold Flight" on San Francisco Bay and Ocean) with the Yacht Racing Association, in 1974.

Also, and in particular, I am 40 years associated with Mountain Rescue. I rescued a US Navy Seal sent for training, my first year. In fact, my reputation is all my rescues are "live rescues".

Have a look.

Google.

It is my opinion Orange Gadgets GPS360 and xGPS software (found in Cydia) is better than Tom Tom.

Tom Tom is more expensive, not better and is limited to their product brand.

It does not support the other useful Apple Store GPS-reliant apps.

edit: I read this.

Maybe my remarks in CNET had Tom Tom "tweak" their product release?

Tom Tom's success elsewhere, according to reviews online I have read, is attributed to their dissatisfied customers contacting Tom Tom with complaints, ie. "feedback". The "corrections" are added, case-by-case, location-by-location, especially for the turn-by-turn or lane whatever name by brand.

Do whatever. Be a consumer.

Don't support creative people to be found right here in the forum.

Here is a review: http://hubpages.com/hub/xGPS-for-iPhone-Review-w-Screenshots