Got my iPod Touch wet..is it covered under warranty?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by overlord, Sep 7, 2009.

1. overlord

overlord New Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Okay, I managed to get my first generation iPod touch wet in the rains about three days back. It didn't get soaked in water, but it did come in contact with water.
    So, the current condition of my iPod is that I can boot the iPod well and fine. I can listen to music. I can play games. What doesn't work is WiFi. The WiFi tab says "No WiFi". The lock and unlock speaker seems dead. iPod shuts down automatically. After the shutdown battery drops down(and drops down bad).

So what I want to know is if it covered in the limited warranty that I have or will I have to pay for the repairs. And if I do have to pay, how much will I have to pay?
  2. Universal Denizen

Universal Denizen Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You should have immediately put in an air-tight container filled with dry, white rice. Unfortunately, water damage is not covered under warranty.
  3. overlord

overlord New Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Ye. And I didn't do that. But I haven't rendered it useless.
    Okay. I just read about the water sensor. I do not see anything red or pink in the earphone jack.
    Could you tell me about the water sensor?
  4. --Blake

--Blake New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well

What i would do is go to an apple store and say that i dropped itand explain what is wrong and they probably would get me a new one. Now im not saying go out and lie to get a new ipod, but if you LOVE your ipod like i do, than i would recomend doing that...but thats just me. Good luck and i hope thos helps!!!
  5. overlord

overlord New Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I didn't you read your reply before I went to the apple store..but anyway, thanks for that.
    What I did was mentioned nothing about wetting or any other fault on my side. I just mentioned the defects in the iPod. And I got my new iPod today. Woah! The back is shiny, again! (its my second replaced iPod).
  6. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Is it a new one or a refurb? Was your old one jailbroken? Did you do the return at an Apple store or a normal retail electronic store like Best Buy? How long did it take for you to get your new iPod? I just wanna know in case anything happens to mine.

I bought mine at Future Shop in Canada (owned by BestBuy), I got a 3 yr extended warranty (plus Apple's one yr manufacturer's) for $100 extra, and they do not cover water and physical damage. They said if I happen to bring mine in, they can't gurantee me getting back a new iPod (I may get mine fixed, a refurb of same condition, or a different device - like not an Apple device - with the same functionality :S).

Yea, so I just wanted to know. Also (a general question), if you buy your iPod at a retail store (like not an Apple store), and you get the store's extended warranty (not Apple's Care thingy), and it's still within the 1 yr of buying the device (so you still have the 1 yr manufacturer's warranty), can you return your device to an Apple store instead?
  7. overlord

overlord New Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I got a new one. Within three days. I returned it to an authorised Apple reseller. My iPod was jailbroken, but since it was partly working, I had restored it before giving it to the Apple store.

As for the second question, your iPod is most probably still covered under Apple's warranty. If you're still dubious over the issur go here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
    Enter the iPod S/N that's mentioned at the back of your iPod, you'll get to know.
  8. aldasivi

aldasivi New Member

hello, about the ipod i got mine wet and it worked for 2 min and i turned it off but now it dosent do anything im still undercove but the problem is that it dosent turn on at all.. what u think should i go there and not menton about the water problems ill just be it has benn 1 month that it turns off while i usE IT and now it stoped and dont work at all.. what shld i say HELP PLZ.. I WOULD REALLY APPRICATED
  9. Freerider2000

Freerider2000 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    my friend got his waterPod replaced 4 free
  10. patpond

patpond New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Holy sh!t.

Please Register or Log in to view images

It looks like english, but it can't possibly be

Please Register or Log in to view images

Anyways, if your iPod is covered under warranty bring it back. Just say it's not working and see what they say.

For the guy with the extended warranty from FutureShop, it doesn't cover water damage, or physical damage? What else is there? I hope you don't have to ever make a claim on that warranty, I think you'll be a little sour over it.