Got a Replacement!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stewartfan, Sep 10, 2010.

1. stewartfan

stewartfan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Some of you may have read the thread(s) about me and the iPhone 3G 8GB that I found, and then was told to keep. I bought a screen for it on eBay, and there were still a lot of problems with it; it would go into DFU mode almost every time I locked it, the camera didn't work, the mic was blown, the accelerometer was iffy, and the Wi-Fi didn't work. I sent it in to Apple, as it's still under warranty until May 2011, and the status is 'Product replacement pending', which I've read means that they're getting ready to send me a refurbed iPhone. This is awesome news! I currently have Alltel Wireless as my cell carrier, and we're transitioning to AT&T within the year, which means I could have a no contract iPhone on my plan, so I won't be tied down to any plan requirements in that respect. The other thing I could do is put it on eBay, and get ~$200 for it, which is handy, because I'm working on a down-payment for a car!

Anyone want to share their opinion?

Thanks in Advance,
    Alex
  2. CBTOUCH

CBTOUCH New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    How the hell did you manage that! I would have thought the warrenty would have been void as soon as you opened up the iphone to replace the screen???
  3. link07

link07 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    ^ agree tell me how u did it because i need to!!
  4. stewartfan

stewartfan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, I bought one of these on eBay, as it was the best deal on there, and it came really quickly for being from Hong Kong, and then installed it, and made sure the rubber around the screen was in good shape, and everything. The iPhone was in fairly rough shape, as I'm pretty sure it got run over before I found it. The metal bezel was actually separating from the backing of the phone, and there were lots of scuffs on it. What I did was restore it (had been using it jailbroken) and call Apple, telling them the truth about how often it went into DFU mode, and lady said she was really surprised. I got a box sent out to me, thinking that if it wasn't replaced, I could just sell it on eBay as parts/repair. I then got the box, and made sure it looked as 'un-tampered with' as possible, and then sent it out, and made sure to put it into DFU mode before I put it into the box. Then I sent it away, and I was checking the Apple site, and it went straight from 'Empty box shipped' to 'Product received by service center (10-Sep-2010)
    Shipped via FedEx Air with tracking number xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Step 2 - Service

Service completed (10-Sep-2010)
    Step 3 - Return

Product replacement pending (10-Sep-2010)'

so, I'm perplexed as to why they replaced it as well...just luck I guess... There was even a screw or 2 missing inside the phone...I can attach photos of right before I sent it out, I was getting ready to list it on eBay, but decided to give replacement a chance first.
  5. guy123456

guy123456 Member

tsk tsk ts.... so you lied to apple... just hope they dont find out
  6. Lagunatic

Lagunatic Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I'm actually happy someone finally scammed apple!
  7. stewartfan

stewartfan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    lied? ...how?
  8. Josh5w5

Josh5w5 Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Because your basically getting a free iPhone by tricking them into thinking that you paid for the device you sent in. In legal terms I believe it's called fraud.
  9. stewartfan

stewartfan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    um, no. The warranty is transferable, and the previous owner gave it to me, meaning that it is my iPhone, and this iPhone was under warranty. That is, in no way, fraud. I never once lied to them about anything. The whole time I was talking to them, I told them that I found it, and the original owner said I could have it. They suggested I get it repaired, and I said I'd rather talk to the original owner first. They were surprised. I contacted the owner, and they didn't want to deal with it. I decided to fix it and use it, so that's what I did. Then I called Apple, and answered all the questions they asked, truthfully, never lied once, and this is what happened. There was never a single lie uttered from my lips.
  10. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    For once, someone does the right thing and actually contacts the owner of the phone. I have to give you credit for that. Good job getting "your" phone back from Apple.

Please Register or Log in to view images