Google Voice - Web App in the Making

Discussion in 'Latest Tech News and Rumors' started by Germany, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Germany

Germany Banned

[​IMG]

Google Voice to be remade as a Web App

It's no surprise that the Google Voice/Apple/AT&T controversy is still being talked about. As many expected, Google will be redoing their Google Voice application in response to the ongoing predicament. No, Google isn't submitting the app again, but you will have the same experience. Google is taking their rejected app, and recreating it as a Web app that looks and functions the same as their original Google Voice application.

The Web app can be saved to your springboard, and used as normal, which gives you a nice opportunity to say, "Suck it, AT&T!" No time frame for completion has been released, but it's safe to say that Google is working hard on this project. You might remember that Google Latitude was rejected from the App Store, but Google made a Web app for Latitude, in which they will follow suit with Google Voice. Enjoy!

Source: CNET
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If it will still function as the Application, how will we be able to make calls?

We won't be able to receive Push notifications for texting, either.... :(

Google is pretty persistent about this. Nice. :)
  3. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wait. I thought it was independent developers that created the app? Or am I dead wrong.
  4. Tommm

Tommm Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Google has more power than apple, they should just threaten to remove apple.com from google search unless they approve it.
  5. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    That's GV Mobile, and it's a different app. Google made their own, but it was rejected by Apple (some time ago, I believe)

EDIT: @Tommm - I hope Google doesn't stoop that low and fight Apple's anti-competitive behavior with their own.
  6. Tommm

Tommm Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    GV was created by an independent developer, it was in the appstore for 2 months then apple removed it.

Google made an official app but it got rejected for duplicating the phones functionality.
  7. sensor15

sensor15 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    you should just gv mobile from cydia
  8. Tommm

Tommm Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You're right, it would be pretty low of Google to do that, but Google should at least release there app on Cydia, with full instructions on there Google Voice page on how to get it.
  9. Mgssidley

Mgssidley Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Suck it Apple!
  10. flashcus

flashcus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You don't want to mess with google. They are dangerous. *looks behind as google ninja slits my throat*