Google Sketchups. Also can you port msdos games. I know a fun one.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by scottgoodz, Jan 12, 2008.

1. scottgoodz

scottgoodz New Member

Google sketchups would be productive and very fun to have on the ipot. All you use is your mouse so it would work well. You can learn it in a day, and use it for architecture, drawing inventions, or just playin around with it drawing stuff. Would it be possible?

Also is it possible to port/run msdos games on the ipot. I've always loves this simple from download.com called crimefighter
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

DOS games would have to be emulated through an emulator like DOSBox. You could probably get it to emulate very old (pre-Doom) games or simpler post-Doom games, at full (or decent) speed.

Sketchup would be a little more impractical, since you would utterly lack the level of precision a mouse would give you and is kind of needed to create/place objects around the screen. It just isn't the same trying to do that with a finger.
  3. scottgoodz

scottgoodz New Member

But theoretically could the ippd handle sketchups and would it be difficult to port. What would I have to do to port it. I think it would be easier on a touchscreen. One finger to mouse and draw two fingers to orbit. Dors't google provide the source code.
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

No, the source to Sketchup is not avaialble as far as I know. It's a commercial application after all. (There's a heavily limited free version, but the Pro version costs $500)

Could the Touch handle it? Probably to a certain degree. However, drawing would be the primary problem here. If you want an example, try drawing any sort of detailed objects in iPhysics sandbox mode, or Sketches for that matter, and you'll understand what I mean when I say that accurately modeling 3D objects with your fingers on a 3-1/2" screen would not work very well.
  5. scottgoodz

scottgoodz New Member

well, the trick with accurate drawing in sketchups, is instead of having to keep the mouse steady to draw a strait line as you would in sketched , or iphysics, you just chose two points and it make a strait line. thats just an example. In paint it is near impossible to draw good curves and circles with pencil tool. in scetchups you just click 2 points and then drag to adjust the arc. seems like a great touch interface.