Google Mobile is in the Wrong Language

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jesseissorude, May 27, 2008.

1. jesseissorude

jesseissorude New Member

I understand that Google detects your home country based on your IP address and gives you the right language based on that. Google mobile, however, is coming up in Chinese (Mandarin I think, but it's all Greek to me... oh, wait...) despite the fact that I'm in the US.

I went to <http://www.google.com/preferences?hl=en>, but that didn't fix it. My problem is not with the search, but with the language the homepage is served to me in.
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Have you tried checking with Google?
  3. jesseissorude

jesseissorude New Member

I've done a lot of searching (and am continuing to do so), but haven't found anything yet. It seems like my IP is being detected as something other than USA and that doesn't seem to be a very common problem. That, or I am just looking in the wrong places.
  4. jesseissorude

jesseissorude New Member

Solved

I got frustrated, went to a cafe, connected through their wireless and everything worked fine. I came home and connected to my wireless and it was in Chinese again. I power-cycled the router... same results. For lack of anything better to do, I just kept power-cycling and on the 3rd try IT WORKED! I have no idea what fixed this or why, but I'm not complaining.

My suggestion if someone has this same problem is to disconnect from the network, then connect again repeatedly. If that doesn't work, cycle the router.

Sigh, what a great way to make an impression on the boards...
  5. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Glad you got it to work. It's crazy how these things happen sometimes.