Google Maps: Location Questions (and Australia)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chaofan, Dec 3, 2008.

1. chaofan

chaofan Member

Sep 21, 2008
    I've seen a thread regarding Google Maps, but just another thread to ask a specific question.

Due to the fact the iPod Touch 2G doesn't have GPS, it relies on Wifi. However, when I connect to mine, it is unable to determine my current location. I read somewhere that this is due to the lack of other Wifi signals and being unable to "triangulate" the location.

Someone suggested going to an area with many Wifi signals such as a city, but I'm wondering if anyone in Australia has been able to do that. I've tried it yet I'm still unable to determine my location.

Any ideas/solutions?
  2. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Oct 14, 2008
    The WiFI routers MAC address have to be sent in to Skyhook, if you are so rural or if you reside in a city the Skyhook people did not "wardrive" with their equipment.

Let's think... Is that "a good thing" or not. (rhetorical question)

I think it would be considerate for the "web app" people to provide for entering a nearby zipcode or even the laditude-longitude found in Google search for a nearby town, for example.

Laptop or pc Google Earth have laditude-longitude everywhere: move that mouse.

I have used this method to enter location for some "web apps".

I think Apple ought to suggest this provision for the iPod Touch-owners.