Google Maps Geo (How does it know where I am?)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by riptorn, Jan 26, 2008.

1. riptorn

riptorn New Member

I tried to find an answer to this but couldn't so I was curious how Google Maps on the iPod Touch 1.1.3 knows where you are using the geo feature.

I know that you can find out where an IP is based on the provider but how do they go beyond say Toronto where my provider is. It is freaky that it knows exactly where I am each time I do the search.

Is there anyway of blocking this?

Can you do this on Google Maps on a PC through the web?

Thanks,

Nathan...
  2. TyrannoJack

TyrannoJack Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    It has something to do with certain hotspots. Apparently like a little signal from them still gets picked up by the touch but might not necessarily give it internet access. But that little beacon, or whatever, helps triangulate where you are.

Good enough?
  3. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    They teamed up with Skyhook Wireless. Skyhook wireless went around Canada and the United States mapping the wi-fi locations etc.
  4. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Like Stephen said, they made a database of wireless networks. What the iPod then does is triangulates your position through passive signals your iPod gets from the networks.
  5. Kerber0s34

Kerber0s34 New Member

The company (i forget what its called) that provided the locate me feature used special vans to drive around and store the GPS coordinates of wireless access points. Yes... they drove up and down every street in your city logging any access point they could find. Your iPod then picks up the SSIDs, and sends it to their servers, which in turn figure out where you are.

In order to keep the system up to date, the system will also log new SSIDs and store them based on the coordinates of the ones it already knows. Any that are in the database, but arent being picked up anymore are deleted.

Seems like alot of overhead when you could just stick a GPS receiver in it, however the biggest benefit is it works well in urban centers and indoors where GPS signals are minimal or non-existent.
  6. tsice19

tsice19 New Member

Is that why it can't locate me when I'm using my home network's wifi?
  7. Easyprinter12

Easyprinter12 New Member

Well, you don't even have to be connected to a wifi hot spot to be located. Google Maps is looking for WiFi networks and can see how good the connection is, for example 90%. That means that the area where you can be is around that hot spot. If there are more hotspots, then you iPod calculates where you should be. The more hotspots there are the more precise is your location in google maps
  8. riptorn

riptorn New Member

very kewl. Will have to read up more about it on their website. One of the security features of my wireless is that I don't broadcast ssid. So it is kewl that they got my neighbors. Maybe they just even look at the devices broadcasting over the freq and then tag it somehow so they may have still gotten me. I live in an area with few wifi signals and it locates me right to my street corner.

Thanks for the info and any more detail is greatly appreciated. Please add the wiki if someone works for the company who does this.

Btw does it work on google maps on a laptop?

Thanks again,

Nathan
  9. Leixner

Leixner New Member

Cant locate my location, when i´m at home
    I think because there are no HotSpots in my Town.
    I´ll try in Ingolstadt (Next Bigger Town) tomorrow!
  10. pared

pared New Member

That's absolutely wrong. Please stop sharing mis-information.

Say you're not connected to any hotspot... how do you expect Google Maps to get the information from web servers to your device? By magic?