Google Maps app - help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rajza00, Aug 19, 2008.

1. rajza00

rajza00 New Member

Why does my iPod touch always tell me I'm at a location an hour and a half away?

Whenever I "allow" it to find my location, it says I'm at an address where I lived over a year ago. I don't even drive anywhere near where I used to live, so why does it still think I'm there? How can I change my location to my new address?

Someone help! This Maps app would be very useful if only I could fix this problem.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. slname

slname New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    My guess is you moved, and took your router with you. The way the Locate Me feature works is this - a company that provides this feature runs their equipped car around the country and scans the MAC addresses of the WiFi signals they get and register it with their location.

So, they registered your router and took your MAC address and associated it to your location. The MAC address doesn't change so the system still thinks you live where you used to live.

The company that does this is Skyhook, you can contact them on their website, there's also a form to associate your location with the MAC address of your router.

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/whoweare/contact.php
  3. ubunix

ubunix Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    My ipod can never tell where I am. That find me feature is pretty entry lvl
  4. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    At least your iPod Touch TELLS you where you are.
  5. slname

slname New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    @ubunix and Abcmsaj

both of you should check the Skyhook website above and register your routers with them.