Google Maps and Singapore... (install more locations?)

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by spvn, Dec 24, 2007.

1. spvn

spvn New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I live in a tiny country called Singapore (half of you have probably never heard of it and the other half probably think it's in hong kong or china) and Google Maps isn't very friendly with this place, because a lot of the locations aren't recorded in Google Maps. For example when I search for "singapore starbucks", I get ZERO hits even though they're found all over the place. So my question is, is there anyway at all to "install" extra locations into Google Maps so that they're searchable? For example someone complied a list of locations in singapore here, but when i try to load it into google maps on the ipod touch, not all of the locations show up, and even then, they're not saved into google maps itself.
  2. blackslayer

blackslayer New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    hi fellow singporean..i am from singapore too.=) anyway, regarding abut ur qns..i doubt it can be done?
  3. Nevermind42592

Nevermind42592 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    lol i'm from america and deffinately know what Singapore is. As for now there are no google map downloads. But i'm sure someone could probably figure it out.
  4. szurinaga

szurinaga New Member

Who doesnt know what singapore is
  5. spvn

spvn New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok, maybe this board is different. Almost every other person i've talked to on the internet has never heard of it or thinks we're a province in china...
  6. saigonblack

saigonblack New Member

chao brackie!!! Ho say bo!

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    im betting Apple wont support Singapore until they release the iphone there or near there. the American maps.app most likely only searches google maps for american places, therefore its not gonna give you any results outside of the USA. although im not 100% sure of this, i'd like to see a copy of the UK maps.app now that the iphone has been released over there.
  8. beefybug

beefybug New Member

It is not a problem of whether it is supported or not... it is just that the map for singapore is not detailed enough ... haha... guess you probably never used it to search places outside of USA..
  9. spvn

spvn New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ah good point... Never thought of that

Please Register or Log in to view images

Hope they make it A LOT more detailed in the near future. Unfortunately, there isn't any way to mod the Maps app right?
  10. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Actually, I don't know if it's an Apple problem really - I mean all the Google Maps app is doing is pulling content from Google's website and maps program. I think you need to see if the website at http://maps.google.com has more content than what's in the native Maps.app. If not, well, you'll know it's Google that needs to get more info on Singapore.