Google Map Locator

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by Trekky0623, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Trekky0623

Trekky0623 New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Does this work for anyone? It seems to not work for a lot of people.
  2. MomDad

MomDad New Member

Jan 19, 2008

01-20-2008, 10:42 AM
    Canada? Haven't made it over to Ontario, yet (I'm in Michigan), but it should work if you're within the coverage area.

Skyhook Wireless is providing the location information, and according to their press release on Google Maps for iPhone/iPod touch (, they indicate that, "Skyhook has built a database of over 23 million Wi-Fi access points with their locations," and, "Skyhook's location coverage today includes 70% of the U.S. and Canadian populations, the top metropolitan areas of Europe and expanding coverage in Asia." Keep in mind they cover 70% of the population (where people live), *not* 70% of land area. They also provide a basic coverage map (, which should answer most coverage questions.

And yes, you do need to be connected to at least one Access Point (AP) - you can't simply have them "visible," but not logged into any of them. The database of location information is stored on Skyhook's servers (as opposed to being stored directly on your iPod touch), and since the "Where Am I?" request need to access those servers, there needs to be some way for the iPod to communicate with those servers. If you're not connected to an AP, that obviously isn't able to happen.

This also means that you need to be successfully logged into the AP (even if it's an open AP). For example, the T-Mobile Hotspot service at many Starbucks locations requires you to log in before you can do access anything else through that AP. That means that if you're not logged in, "Where Am I?" requests to Skyhook can't happen. Once you've logged in, you'll be good to go.