Good Ipod Touch 4G buying advice

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by midnight0045, Sep 1, 2010.

1. midnight0045

midnight0045 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    stumbled upon this insight about the new touch coming out. Thought I would share it.

This review is from: Apple iPod touch 32 GB (4th Generation)

My wife and I have the 3rd generation iPod Touch and are very happy with them. The one thing that I have been missing/wanting is having a built in camera. I recently saw the photos taken by a friend's iPhone and was blown away by how good they were. Almost all reviews have said the iPhone built in 5MP camera is excellent. Like many others I watched Steve Jobs present the new iPod line today and was very excited to hear that it had all the features I was looking for. Retina display - awesome. Front and rear cameras - yes! Finally.

I was all set to order 2 from Amazon the minute Amazon had them listed. But .. while looking thru the Apple website I came across the specs for the rear facing camera. It is only .7 megapixels. Less than 1 megapixel. What? I thought that can't be right. I contacted Apple and the rep, who had gotten many such calls it seemed, confirmed that the iPod touch has a very different camera (.7 MP vs the iPhone's 5 MP) . Bummer. I looked around and found a hands on review of it .... and they said the sensor itself, besides being lower MP, is also not nearly as good as the one in the iPhone. Not terrible but certainly not good and no where in the same league as the one in the iPhone.

The camera was one of the 2 main things people asked for. The other being the Retina display. My assumption is that Apple didn't want to affect iPhone sales and purposely dummied down the camera. Shame on them. They want us to pay $240 to $400 for an iPod with a terrible camera.

I first predicted that w/ the Retina display and the camera that this would be a smashing success, a huge seller coming into the holiday season. I suspect when people get them and see how bad the photos are, they'll be returning them to Apple. Or like myself, not upgrading.

I realize this review should be for a product I own, but I felt it was important for people to know about the camera before they ordered it. If photos aren't a big deal, and you'll only email them or post them on facebook, then .7 MP is probably fine. If you want to print any of the photos you take, or even have room to crop the photo, you won't get enough resolution to do that.

That being said, the Retina display does look awesome, but is it worth the extra dollars over the price of the 3G model? Only you can decide that.

I hope this helps all of you make a wise decision about your purchase.
  2. viperGTS

viperGTS Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It is a little disappointing that the back camera isnt as good as the iPhone 4's. but if the cam WAS 5 MP then the touch would get insanely thick.
  3. mush

mush Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    the rear camera was just a cherry on top for me, i have a phone with 5mp camera IF i wanted to take better pics...
  4. matt912836

matt912836 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Clearly this person knows nothing about photography or cameras in general. It still had a backside illuminated sensor, and the number of megapixels a camera has will in no way affect the quality of the pictures it takes.
  5. 2fast4u5

2fast4u5 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hm.. I did not know that. I thought the higher the pixels, the better quality/fewer pixelated images there are. (I know nothing about cameras/photography myself, but that's what I thought.)
  6. b777forever

b777forever Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone
    [offtopic]
    This. my 7 year old Canon 300D can still take wonderful pictures. In fact better than some of the points&shoots available today
    [/offtopic]
  7. matt912836

matt912836 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nope, megapixels ONLY control how big the image is. And if you ask me, 960x720 isn't that bad, heres an example of a picture at 960x720 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...1029181921!Lime_tree_bark_texture_960_720.jpg
    (NOT TAKEN with an iPod touch, ONLY trying to pount out to the SIZE of the picture, not the QUALITY)

Besides, the majority of pictures are going to be uploaded to sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc and not used for professional use, and these sites resize images smaller anyway. People are blowing this out of proportion. Once again, never satisfied.
  8. legendarytrainer

legendarytrainer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    EXACTLY! ugh, Im so sick of all of these threads discussing how .7 MP is horrible! Like sure they couldve included maybe a one or two MP camera, but .7MP is not really that bad at all. lik ethat picture you posted, its big enough. Most people will upload it to social netwroking sites where they just get smaller. people just need to understand that.

aslong as the sensor is of OK quality, the pictures will be too. honestly, i think when we get the device and take pictures and upload them to places, this whole thing will die down (provided the sensor is good enough to take decent pictures. thats all that matters is the sensor)
  9. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

Pixel count is just how many dots there are. Realistically you don't need that much to even make a digital print. The crux of quality is the actual camera itself - I'm guessing Apple have packed in a high quality camera, judging from the undoctored photos they have on their website.
  10. Bootstrap Bill

Bootstrap Bill Banned

There are plugins for Photoshop that can quadruple the number of pixels in a photo. Supposedly some of them work very well.