Good God. Serious issue with overheating!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Noisemaker, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

Ok, I just came back to my computer after doing other stuff for the past ~6 hours. I had my Touch plugged in to charge, and forgot about it. It was just lying on my bed, inactive with nothing running. I'm pretty sure wi-fi was on, but that's it.

Well, I went to grab the iPod to check Cydia and my mail quickly. It f***ing burned my hand because it was so hot. I shut it off immediately - trying to avoid touching any more of it than I had to. It didn't appear that there was any damage - no screen discoloration or anything, and it still worked (at least, holding home and sliding the power slider did), but f*** was it hot. If I hadn't picked it up when I did, I really think it would have caused a fire.

First, what are the odds that it's completely f***ed? It burned my hand to touch it, so I'm sure it exceeded the recommended temperature by a LOT.

Next, on the chance that it's not f***ed, what caused this, and how can I prevent this from ever happening again?

How long should I wait before turning it back on?
  2. x6blues

x6blues New Member

Well, obviously there is a hardware issue because a normal iPod never gets that hot to the point you can't even hold it.

Make sure it is just on a desk, nothing prone to catching fire like a mouse pad, paper, etc, and wait about half an hour.

Then call Apple Support to get it replaced. It's a hardware issue so nothing you can do really. Just be sure to restore before sending it in.
  3. MANOWAR©

MANOWAR© Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Sounds like either your USB port is putting out too much voltage or the battery is failing on your ipod and can't take a charge so it just keeps charging. Try using one of apples plug in transformers to charge it and see what happens.
    ------------------double post merged------------------

Won't they be able to tell his is Jailbroken and doesn't that void the warranty?
  4. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

I just have it sitting and cooling of now. I thought about taking it outside, but didn't want to cool it down TOO fast and cause even more damage.

It's fairly cool right now. I'm going to wait a few more minutes before turning it back on.

As for sending it into Apple, f*** that. I'll just return it. Unfortunately, I'll be stuck with a 2G, so no jailbreak.

Please Register or Log in to view images

As for restoring, yes. It removes all traces of a Jailbreak. I'm sure if someone REALLY wanted to find out if it was jailbroken at one point, they probably could. However, Apple doesn't care enough to spend hours and hours trying to decrypt shredded fragments of memory searching for a trace of a jailbreak.

If I would get a refurb from Apple, would it be mint condition? Or could I end up with some battered and beaten 1G with "FOR MY BELOVED SCHMOOPYKINS" engraved on the back?
  5. MANOWAR©

MANOWAR© Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    All the refurbs I've gotten from them have looked new. Maybe like someone took it out of the box and used it for like a day then sent it back. No scratches on the screens and just light lines on the backs, nothing deep or obvious.
  6. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

Ok, I have it back on. It seems fine. Is there anything in particular I should look for damage-wise?
  7. dashwood03

dashwood03 New Member

try to open all your apps if it's working. and check your wifi connection.

in short try everything,

if everything works, it's fine.
  8. Pwnage Productions

Pwnage Productions Banned

personally i would restore. my ipod did this once, i let it sit for a day, restored it, never happened again

9. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

:facepalm:

I have tons of my ROMs and MXTube Videos on it. Getting them all back would take FOREVER.

Not to mention saved pictures, notes, all of my data, apps, and cydia apps/utilities/tweaks.

Is a full restore necessary if everything is working?
  10. dashwood03

dashwood03 New Member

nah, if everything's working, be happy.

don't have to restore.

it's just pwnage production's opinion.