Good amount of Ram

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphone-King, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Iphone-King

Iphone-King Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Whats a good amount of Ram on an iphone 4? I just want to know whats the average amount of ram that i should have free.
  2. kevuk09

kevuk09 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    not to sure, mines at 300MB free mem, and its the 16GB version
  3. sanga282

sanga282 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    mien starts at 320MB free on boot then slowly decreases even with all processes killed (minus phone adn email) it seems to leak RAM throughout usage
  4. Iphone-King

Iphone-King Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Ok thats good mine starts at 330 and then decreases as well

Please Register or Log in to view images

So im about average. Re-springing resets it as well

5. Toasty Bread

Toasty Bread Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Woah, I was just reading this, but this is totally unfair. The new iPhone 4 has that much free space, when my iPod touch 2G has only 35 MB at the most! lol now my final choice on a cell phone is an iPhone 4!

6. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    The iPhone 4 has 4 times the RAM as your 2G. And twice as much as the 3G. Wait until iPod Touch 4G is released. Then it'll have the same (Maybe more, you're not running SMS and Phone all the time).
  7. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I don't see what the obsession with "free memory" is — for iPhone 4 users. Processes, when not running actively, are kept in memory so they can quickly be switched to. The immense amount of RAM on the device allows for that. Having more "free memory" doesn't mean that you'll have better battery life, or faster speeds. In fact, you may notice a slow-down in app launch times, because instead of switching to a process in memory, the OS has to create a new process, and do all sorts of memory mapping as it reads the application from non-volatile storage.
  8. sanga282

sanga282 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    because once you switch to a RAM intensive application the free memory is vital to its speed and efficiency. Monopoly here and now edition on the app store has told me friend frequently that he has been running low on memory on his iPod Touch 2G and recommended that he reboot the device, it even told me it once and i was surprised seeing as how i have a 512MB playground for monopoly, Im sure most people here are very aware of how processes are stored in the RAM when inactive,
  9. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Apples mechanism for RAM goes as follows: free, wired, active, inactive and used. The free is self explanatory. The used memory is a combination of the wired, active, and inactive. The inactive memory is the part of the memory that is kept so applications boot quicker. This part of the memory can easily be deleted when larger processes are started. Essentially, this memory is there if it's needed, otherwise, it'll keep what it's holding. After all the inactive RAM has been cleared, and the iPhone still needs to get more memory, it will begin to terminate certain applications (Least vital first, 3rd party; then vital ones until SpringBoard.app is killed) until memory is sufficient enough to run the application. Yes, free memory is vital to a smooth running device. But half (256MB) is more than enough.
  10. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Excellent explanation. To elaborate: when an app closes, it may be kept in the "inactive" region, so that if it is launched again, the OS need to create a new process and read from flash. If there is not enough memory to do something else, items in the inactive region will be removed.