Gojohnnyboi, read:

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by SkylarEC, Jun 11, 2008.

1. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

1.1.4 is a dead platform.

As a beginner, you might want to "quit while you are ahead," before you learn too many outdated APIs. Do NOT read that as stop programming! Instead, interpret it as this: "Start programming for 2.0."

That being said, start programming for 2.0. Get all the information you can. Then check this link for some VERY important things, such as the requisite toolchain changes: http://www.zdziarski.com/iphone/. That name should be familiar to you. Very familiar to you.

Have fun.

EDIT: Incidentally, http://rs302.[PIRACY.rs].com/files/99995553/ToolChain_OSX10.5_Intel_Aspen-alpha_20080316.tar.bz2
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    To Go Johnny Boy: BUUURRRNNNNNNN

To SkylarEC: PM?

But this is seriously HILLARRIOUSSS. FRONT PAGE!!!
  3. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

PM? Actually, he lives in this section, but he is on hoilday for 2 weeks.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. The Baydestrian

The Baydestrian Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    0.o
    this is the first time I've seen Skylar post in awhile
  5. SkylarEC

No, this is not a burn. Rather, it is a push toward 2.0. This isn't a flame thread at all.

The reason it isn't a PM is in case there are some out there who don't know where to get this information. It can help more than just Gojohnnyboi, although this help is directed toward him.
  6. Clash

Clash New Member

Hello Skylar, I am also a beginner (very beginner, I think you have saw my topic, you replied there). I am making a game for 1.1. Are there a lot of changes on 2.0? What is your suggestion, stop making it for 1.1, download 2.0 beta, test the game on 2.0? Thank you
  7. SkylarEC

The frameworks are set up differently. Most of the API that you are using is now in the PrivateFrameworks. Some calls are different, others are non existant. Still others are available that aren't in 1.x firmware.

My advice is to move to 2.0 as quickly as possible.
  8. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

Im on vacation for 2 days, however i have my dad's laptop here. I have contacted BigBoss a few days ago, and am currently learning and studying the differences, so that i can make 2.0 apps on the open( aspen i think ), toolchain.

Thanks for the links Skylar

EDIT: Yes, its aspen. I noticed OSX in the title. Is this also compatible with Windows?
  9. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

dude...we're talking about the open 2.0 toolchain ... aspen.

And, if aspen isn't compatible with windows, although i believe it is accoriding to bigboss, i know saurik has a native gnu objc compiler that runs ON THE IPHONE, and compiles FOR THE FIRMWARE THE DEVICE IS ON!!!

So, worst case scenario is a contact saurik once more, and get his help on setting up and using the native compiler, and set it up on a custom (pwned) firmware, and start learning the differences in code for 2.0, which shouldnt be hard with the wide community of developers and large amount of source code available from apple =p ...and....*cough*iphonedevdocs*coughU*
  10. SkylarEC

Header files are header files. If it wasn't compatible with Windows, I wouldn't be able to use it, now would I? I am far more productive on Windows than on my PPC Mac (which refuses to compile because I'm on the "wrong" architecture).

Anyway, this isn't news, I just wanted to spur him ni the right direction becasue he's spending too much time on 1.1.4.

EDIT: And correct, it is no longer Aspen, but I don't really think the changes are all that significant between the betas.