Going to buy iPod touch 3G 32GB - some questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by multimolti, Oct 18, 2009.

1. multimolti

multimolti New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi!

I'm thinking of buying an iPod touch 32GB, the 3rd generation, and have some questions before I really decide to buy it.

1. What is the MC version?
    2. Is it true that only the 8GB model can be MC, or can the 32GB one be MC as well?
    3. Can I tell whether the iPod is MC before buying it?
    4. I read that there is a way of jailbreaking all 3G non-MC models. Is this jailbreak reliable?
    5. Will jailbreaking void my warrany?
    6. When the iPod is jailbreaked, I can install games and apps even when they're not from the iTunes Store. Where can I get these apps?
    7. Will I also be able to put iTunes Store apps (like NFS Undercover) on the jailbreaked iPod?
    8. If yes above, where can I get them?

EDIT:
    When I read this: "We have zero tolerance for any sort of discussions relating to piracy!" I thought that question 8 may break that rule. If it does, just don't answer it, ok?

Would be cool if you could answer my questions! Thank you!
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Jailbreaking voids your warranty.

32 GB and the 64 GB can be jailbroken.

You can still use your iPod with all its regular functionality, including using the App Store, and if you are talking about cracked apps, that is illegal and against the rules.
  3. multimolti

multimolti New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well, I'm not necessarily talking about cracked apps. I read that many developers are "fed up" with Apple's rules and thus offering their apps on other websites/marketplaces. My questions was what these websites/markets are.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    And here another question:
    I read that in the case my iPod is broken and I want to use the warranty, I can update the firmware with iTunes to the latest unjailbroken Apple version and thus undo my jailbreak. When I send it back to Apple then, they won't recognize and repair it for free. Is that true?
  4. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Regarding question 8, when you jailbreak your device you will be greeted by a new application named Cydia, which is like the underground app store. You can find apps to buy or download for free on there. Downloading App Store apps still works through the app store like normal.
  5. multimolti

multimolti New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for the answers. What's about resetting the iPod for warranty purposes? Will they recognize that the iPod has been jailbroken before when I reset it and send it for repair afterwards?
  6. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
  7. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Not entirely true. If you do a regular restore Apple can still check to see if you have been jailbroken before, because some files get left behind. If you do a DFU restore then they cannot however.
  8. multimolti

multimolti New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    What is a DFU restore?

And what about the case that my iPod is so broken that I can't even do the reset? Then they will recognize it...
  9. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    That is true, Nburnes, a normal upgrade or restore from backup won't delete every jailbroken file. But it is relatively easy to DFU restore, and you'll be back on a completely clean system.

And to the OP, if the iPod is broken, how will Apple know if it's jailbroken? If your computer can't recognize it in DFU mode, it is likely that neither will Apple's computers.

EDIT: A DFU mode is basically a normal restore after putting the iPod into Device Firmware Upgrade (DFU) mode, which basically involves pressing some buttons at the right time; it's not difficult.
  10. multimolti

multimolti New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Okay, sounds good, then I don't have to be scared when jailbreaking my iPod. Then I probably gonna get the touch soon =)