iPhone 3G Going to buy an SW-unlocked + jailbroken iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brovius, Jul 7, 2009.

1. brovius

brovius Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Hi guys,
    I've seen a used software-unlocked + jailbroken iPhone 3G on eBay which I might be buying, I don't know its FW version YET, but it is sold without a sim.
    In the Netherlands, T-Mobile is the only seller of the iPhones - this one is bought at T-Mobile too, all of them are simlocked, and I want to use this one with my vodafone sim.
    If I upgrade to 3.0, will I still be able to jailbreak and unlock it without the T-Mobile sim?
    If I really need the T-Mobile sim, will buying a cheap prepaid T-Mobile work?
    Or will a TurboSIM for example work?

Thanks in advance.
    Greetings,
    Brovius
  2. melterx12

melterx12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yes, the newest firmware 3.0 is unlockable and jailbreakable. Jailbreak with redsn0w, and then download the ultrasn0w unlock through cydia (add source repo666.ultrasn0w.com to cydia first).

however, 3.1 FW will not be unlockable - DO NOT UPGRADE TO 3.1 WHEN IT COMES OUT OR YOU WILL PERMANANTLY LOSE YOUR UNLOCK!
  3. brovius

brovius Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Okay, but I need to upgrade first using Apple's 'clean' firmware right?
    If I do so, and I am having my vodafone sim inside it, what will happen? Will the whole thing stop working, or just the phone/text/edge/3g capability?
  4. melterx12

melterx12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yes you must restore to a fresh 3.0 FW via itunes before running redsn0w.

if you install a clean firmware your iphone will be in lockdown mode where you can only make emergency calls. however this is not a problem just run redsn0w while it is in this mode and jailbreak the phone. after that you can use the iphone even if the sim is not supported or there is no sim.
  5. brovius

brovius Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Okay, thanks.