Going Retro!

Discussion in 'iOS Emulators' started by Torin_93, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Torin_93

Torin_93 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    So lately I have been looking at the vMac (Mac OS emulator) and Bochs(Windows 95 emulator) which are both pretty cool.

Took me a while to figure both of them out but now im glad I have.
    There are guides on how to install these on your ipod it just takes patience.

What do you guys think about these emulators?
    Pretty neat stuff considering I was very young when this stuff came out.
  2. mnewmansnow

mnewmansnow New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    In my experience bochs is barely usable but Mini vMac on the other hand is very usable and more fun to play with. I think both are very cool to play with and are good for showing off your ipod. I love being able to how far technology has come in a pretty short amount of time.
  3. CharginMiLazor

CharginMiLazor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Indeed. Both fun apps, but vMac is faster and smother than Bochs, I think.
  4. Torin_93

Torin_93 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yea today was the first time I got bochs to get all the way to the desk top. I loved it but vMac is way cooler

Technology has come a long way...who knew you could shove a whole computer in your pocket?
  5. colonbracket

colonbracket New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i rekon mini vmac is alot easier to use, if i could use the internet through it id usse it ALOT more
  6. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It would be hard enough getting internet to work on a normal Mac Plus, much less mini vmac. No built-in TCP/IP support into the OS at all.

Mini vMac is pretty good, although I've found that in iPhone OS 3.1.2 at least, the zoomed in view gives me a totally black screen, which kind of ruins it.
  7. Torin_93

Torin_93 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The zoom does ruin it. I just tap with two fingers untill it gets back to normal. I love it. I wanna learn how to run linux on my ipod.

That way I can have Mac/Windows?Linux on my ipod!
  8. wat.

wat. New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I used to use Mini vMac extensively - I had it running more than I used the basic springboard.

I really liked it. Not just for the cool factor, but because with the right software, it was actually quite useful.

I can't see myself ever going back to Windows though - especially not Win95. I'm 100% Mac after experiencing Vista and a Zune. *shudders*
  9. Torin_93

Torin_93 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    LOL how do you add disks/programs/games to the Mini vMac?
  10. wat.

wat. New Member

Device:
    iPad
    You have to actually find them first. You'll need old disk images. There are a few retro Mac sites out there that may have them for download, but I know from experience that they're really hard to dig up. I spent days searching.

If I find the links to the sites, I'll post them in this thread. Unfortunately, I don't think I have them anymore. Just look up the version of Mac OS 7 you're using for Mini vMac, and do a search for disk images.