GnuStep on Windows

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by daygen4545, Jul 25, 2010.

1. daygen4545

daygen4545 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I am using Windows 7, and have installed GnuStep, and plan to start coding in Obj-C, with jEdit. Is it possible to build an iphone app that can be compiled and run on a real device? If so could someone provide some links to a tutorial to get started coding?
  2. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

You'll have to find a way to compile a cross-toolchain for the target "arm-apple-darwin9," which, with Windows' non-unix nature, will not be an easy task. You would most certainly need to set up some sort of GNU system on your computer, such as MinGW. However, it would literally be more trouble to try to compile a toolchain on windows than to dual boot a better operating system for development(say, a Linux distro). Now, that said, I don't know your skill level when it comes to compilers and building them, but I assure you that for the unfamiliar, it will not be an easy task by any means, and guessing by you asking how here how to even go about it in the first place, I doubt you will be able to, especially on windows.

There is a great article however, written by Jay Freeman(saurik), author of Cydia, Cycorder, Winterboard, and owner of the "Telesphoreo" iPhone repository for ported unix utilities and the like, which explains the steps needed(in a non direct, yet suffficient for those with some knowledge) to build the open iPhone toolchain on a unix system. That article is here: http://saurik.com/id/4

I wish you the best of luck. I can't guarantee I will be back on to check this thread soon, but you may post questions or problems you have here and I'm sure someone will probably be willing to help you out.

-John