GMail IMAP

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by raymo03, Oct 20, 2007.

1. raymo03

raymo03 New Member

Hey all,

One of the first things that I wanted to get done on my Touch was GMail over IMAP, which I found you can do if you go through AIM's free (and unlimited) IMAP email. I've been looking for free IMAP for months, so I'm surprised I hadn't found this out before today. They key part you need to know is you need an AIM screenname, and AIM's IMAP server is imap.aim.com. I wrote a quick and dirty on my blog with links to downloadSquad's instructions on getting this sort of setup working. If anyone else needs help, let me know.
  2. snakedoc12

snakedoc12 New Member

Wait, you're accessing your GMail through AIM? I just put in the GMail IMAP settings and it worked. No AIM or anything....

Only email that I had to use another service was for hotmail.
  3. raymo03

raymo03 New Member

Sorry for the confusion. I know the built in app has GMail as an option, but it's POP access, which downloads the mail. I wanted IMAP because I use 3 computers and now my iPod regularly, and I want to access the same mail on all of them, without having to go to the gmail website.

IMAP stores everything on the server, so changes made on one computer will be shown across every computer you have set up for access. With POP, if you are downloading your mail on your iPod, you usually won't get the same message say in Mail.app or in Outlook on your computer. If the iPod is the only mail client you have accessing GMail, and you do everything else through the Gmail website, you wouldn't have to worry about IMAP.

http://lifehacker.com/software/imap/why-imap-is-better-than-pop-110333.php