Gmail IMAP + MobileMail Tips

Discussion in 'iPhone Applications on iPod touch' started by Andy Huang, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Here's a quick thread for tips. I'm sticking it and closing it. If you have more tips to add, please PM me and I'll add it for you. Of course, you will be credited for the contribution

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Andy Huang

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ssl

I read someone suggesting to set to not use SSL. I would like to use this chance to quickly explain what it is, and why you should NOT not use SSL (double negative, bad; "you SHOULD use SSL" is better gramatically).

SSL stands for Secure Socket Layer. When you are connected using wireless, people can "listen" to what your iPod is sending out and receiving because your data is being broadcasted like radio. Without using SSL, if someone is listening to the data on your wireless network, they can see your password, your email content (if it's banking, or anything personal? yikes!). So what to do? SSL to the rescue. SSL makes the message "un-readable" to anyone other than your iPod, and the mail server. I say un-readable in quote because if someone is really good, they can still take the message and get the original content if they try hard enough; but generally speaking, you won't encounter those people, and you shouldn't be sending stuff _THAT_ senstive over internet anyways.

So, with that said, you _SHOULD_ enable SSL. You can do so via:
    Settings > Mail > <Your Gmail Account> > Advanced:
    Under "Incoming Settings" and "Outgoing Settings", drag the "Use SSL" slider to "on" (Blue background, 1 text) mode.
  3. Andy Huang

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Mapping Folders

I was getting annoyed that if I delete mails from my iPod Touch, it just tags it with "Deleted Messages" tag instead of actually deleting it; so I asked Google about it... And here's a great tip for you guys if you haven't already found this.

Go: Settings > Mail > <Your Gmail Account> > Advanced
    Map:
    "Drafts Mailbox" => [Gmail] / Drafts
    "Sent Mailbox" => [Gmail] / Sent Mail
    "Deleted Mailbox" =>[Gmail] / Trash

Save, and back out.

Now your delete button actually deletes (sends to gmail's trash folder), your drafts actually goes to draft, and your sent messages doesn't get tagged with "Sent Messages".

Happy Gmailing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.