Getting weird IP assigned to my iPod Touch/wifi-dhcp

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bgmahesh, Dec 3, 2008.

1. bgmahesh

bgmahesh New Member

I was able to connect to my wifi router without any problem until I had to return my Touch to get a new one (under warranty)

As earlier, the Touch recognized my wifi router, I entered the password and it connected fine. But I wasn't able to browse any site as none of the domainnames were getting resolved.

The Touch had to be assigned a local IP (192.168.1.x) but it has an IP 169.254.250.114, subnet mask 255.255.0.0, DNS is blank. Not sure where this IP came from.

I took the same iPod Touch to my office where I have a similar wifi router (but not the same make), I can browse without any problems.

What should I do to fix this problem? I have upgraded to 2.2 just yesterday hoping it would solve the problem but it did not
  2. jakecigar

jakecigar New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    that's one of the STANDARD IP addresses that is SELF-ASSIGNED.

your wifi isn't doing DHCP correctly.

reboot or fix the router.
  3. gastonls

gastonls New Member

You can try with some static ip in you ipod, for example, 192.168.1.10 (be sure that isn't in use in you lan).
    For the subnet mask, DNS and router, check you PC configuration:
    Put the same subnet mask, and DNS and Router the same as your default gateway in you pc (that's the ip of your router in your lan, usually 192.168.1.1).....

Let me kwnow if it works for you..

Sorry for my english, i'm argentinian..

Please Register or Log in to view images

GASTÓN
  4. bgmahesh

bgmahesh New Member

Problem solved

I logged into the wifi router and realized that I had entered the password in the reverse order

i.e. if the actually password was xyz I had entered zyx in ipod touch. But shouldn't Touch prompt me with a message "Wrong password"? I always saw a TICK mark which indicated that it had successfully connected to my wifi router

On my laptop if I give the wrong password (for the wifi connection) it prompts me for entering it again.

Thanks for all those who responded
  5. Rodrumble

Rodrumble New Member

Iphone Connected to wifi but no internet

My iphone has not been able to connect to my home wifi to get internet for a while and i think i know what might be the problem. I looked at all the forums i could find on google and it found a lot of help but none was able to solve the problem. I clicked on "forget this network" and typed in my password again and on the last number i accidentally pressed the wrong key. Oddly, it registered and accepted the incorrect password but i had no internet. I looked at the IP and it began with 169.254.xx.xx and the subnet was 255.255.0.0 From the forums, they said that the iphone was not getting the correct dhcp from my wireless when actually the problem was that it was the wrong password. The password i used before was also an incorrect password that still connected to my wifi but wasn't able to get internet. So i tried older passwords till the wifi's IP read 192.168.x.x. and the subnet was 255.255.255.0

Keep in mind that even if you put in the wrong password to get into a wifi network, you will still get connected to the wifi network but you will have no internet access.

I hope this helps
  6. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    DANG, EPIC BUMP! At least it's relevant and not to be annoying

Please Register or Log in to view images

Follow my Rs in my sig. This sound familiar to a 4.x bug. I had it during 4.1, rarely get it in 4.2.1 (still happens once in a blue moon though). Reboot always fixes it for me.