Getting the SDK?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by InsertiPodHere, Mar 18, 2009.

1. InsertiPodHere

InsertiPodHere New Member

Hi, I have a few questions about the iPhone SDK.

First off, is the SDK is free? and is the $99 only if you want to release applications, and do they make you pay even though the app is free?

If I signup for the "free Registered iPhone Developer" do they make you pay in anyway for that? Do you need a credit card and/or billing address?

I am underage (below 18) and that could be a problem couldn't it? Will I have problems downloading the SDK or is that only when apps are published?

And finally I know this is pushing it but if I sign up for the free registered iPhone Developer will I be able to get the iPhone 3.0 SDK and firmware?

Also All of the above works for the iPod Touch right? And is it OK if I use a hackintosh (Please don't go to the legality of this, I dont want to buy a Mac) to just try out the SDK, is Apple going to do bad things to me?

Thanks for any responses/replies

Please Register or Log in to view images

P.S. I have programmed before in C (command line, GCC complier), C#, and Visual Basic (all on Microsoft IDEs and Windows, except for C which I learned completely on Linux).
  2. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wow you actually know C?? Well I'll tell you this much. If you lived around here. I would buy it for you that is yo upaying me and I'll pay for it. with the Credit card.

And yeah we could be rich.

But well I believe it's more if you want to sell the APPS and well even if they are free I think they still charge. But I know nothing. So don't quote me on this.
  3. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    You must have a paid account to get 3.0
  4. InsertiPodHere

Well I know C not objective-C, as that is what is being used by the iPhone OS, so that's why I want to get the SDK and try out the IDE and get to know objective-C before doing anything drastic.

OK, So I can't get 3.0, didn't have my hopes up anyway.

So if I join this free registered developers thing, will they make me pay in anyway? I want to try out the SDK
  5. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    $99 Gets You the SDK, and the iPhone OS
    Free Gets You the SDK only

Read this thread about being under 18: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160070

It will work on a hackint0sh computer, and if you know C, Objective-C will come a bit faster to you (although it varies greatly)
  6. InsertiPodHere

So the age thing doesn't come in to play until I want to publish apps?
  7. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    When you sign the agreement, you have some things that need to take care of:
    1) You have to use the same name as the billing info states (Name on dev program = name on credit card)
    2) You have to fill out Tax forms, and you need to also do that in the same name

Use your parents name and permission, so they can "employ" you to publish apps.

That's the gist of that thread.
  8. InsertiPodHere

So I have to use my parent's Apple ID when I download the SDK (even for free)?

And When I signup for the free one, will they send me anything by mail (my parents hate that)?
    Also, if the parents "employ" me, then doesn't that mean it's a company, there is no way that my parents would go through the trouble, or do they just get the money and give it to me privately?

So all in all, you need a credit card even to get the free SDK...
  9. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    No; for the free SDK, you just sign up for a free membership, and download. That's the easy part. The hard part is submitting the apps to the App Store.

They won't ship you anything.
  10. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    They ship you a dev-camp T-Shirt, but thats when you pay the $99, I mean who wouldn't want a shirt that says that!