getting SSID of hidden networks

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by SteelFlex, Jan 10, 2008.

1. SteelFlex

SteelFlex Banned

Is there anyway to figure out the SSID of a non-broadcasting network? When i use ApLogger and Stumbler it shows the SSID as <hidden>. Is there an app on the touch that shows the SSID of hidden networks? Is there even one for PC's? I have aircrack on my laptop, which i could bring to school and use, but i need the SSID.
  2. moosemun

moosemun New Member

the stumbler.app does give SSID's of most hidden networks

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you look hard enough there are PC applications to do this. Stumbler cant show 'truly' hidden SSIDs.
  4. kinematic@yahoo.com

kinematic@yahoo.com New Member

You could do a WEP style password attack to find it (most WEP cracks take only a few minutes to crack), but that's no guarantee that it will work. Hidden SSIDs are lowtech security methods that actually work pretty well if they set-up the name in some sort of alphanumeric combination that aren't regular dictionary words. Part of the problem with SSIDs is that they can be any length of word, so unlike WEP which is limited to 5-character (common) or 13-character (uncommon but more secure) it's pretty hard to write a program to crack that wide of range of dictionary words and combinations (however not totally impossible).

One of the methods of making a network more secure is to hide the SSID plus use WPA passwords.
  5. SteelFlex

SteelFlex Banned

well stumbler and aplogger show my home and school networks as hidden. i will try and find one that shows SSID's for my laptop.
  6. bennygonz

bennygonz New Member

if anyone knows of anyone working on kismac for ipod, pleeeezshare that info
  7. wnaBsd8d

wnaBsd8d New Member

well the stumbler shows the bssid ?

cant u use that physical address with aircrack i think there is an option for it

give it a go...im not 100% tho

good luck