Getting NON-ITUNES Podcasts into iTunes Podcast section?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Noisemaker, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

I listen to the Micro Sound DJ 8-bit podcasts. They aren't in iTunes - just on a website for download.

How can I import them into my iTunes Podcasts so I can put them into my iPod Touch's Podcast section?
  2. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

In iTunes click on advanced and then click on Open Audio Stream.
    From there you enter the URL of the podcast and download it to iTunes.
    Then sync iPod and view your podcast,
    Enjoy!!!
  3. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

Is it possible to import already downloaded podcasts? I have a bunch already, and with Mobile Broadband with a 5GB monthly bandwidth limit, redownloading them would be a big chunk taken out.
  4. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

You mean import into iTunes, just check the format and if it's compatible then iTunes will recognize it and so will iPod.
  5. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

They're already in iTunes, but only as music files. Is it possible to import them as Podcasts?
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If there is an RSS feed/link (Usually indicated by an Orange Icon in Windows/Linux or a Blue RSS icon in Mac OS X) of the Podcast you are looking for, get that Link. Go to iTunes, click Advanced in the MenuBar, hover over to "Subscribe to Podcast...". Paste the RSS link in and, boom, there you go. You should be getting the feeds.
  7. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

That's what i told him but he says he already downloaded the podcast and he just wants to drop them into iTunes without downloading again.
  8. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

Yep. I'm going to take that route for any other episodes.
  9. detj

detj New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    that can be done...but wud need a little extra effort!

If u hav the podcast mp3s already, then what u need to do is to cook up a fake xml file similar to the itunes podcast rss format (study any original valid itunes podcast xml file by downloading from the link of the podcast site).
    Set up a web server on your computer (apache on port 80 wud do) and put the mp3 files in the httpd folder i.e. the default home of the apache server.
    Make sure each link of the podcast in the xml file is to your web server and not the podcast's site.
    Next make a hosts file entry, redirecting the domain to your apache server (can be localhost).
    e.g. 127.0.0.1 example.com
    127.0.0.1 podcasts.example.com
    Ask itunes to fetch podcasts from your fake xml file, and it will download all the files from your webserver to itself (this wud make itunes look really stupid)

Please Register or Log in to view images