Getting more space for Applications

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by entmike, Oct 12, 2007.

1. entmike

entmike New Member

Has anybody tried making a symbolic link out of /Applications/ and pointing it to the filesystem on which the Library resides?
  2. swedishviking

swedishviking New Member

Yep implemented it a couple of hours ago but I've not had time to play much with it yet.. although what I can report is that after moving the Applications directory to /private/var, creating a symlink and then rebooting.. doesn't break anything.

Also, installing apps works fine as well.

The available space shown in the Installer doesn't change when installing apps, so I do assume it's not only working but actually working well..

An excellent way to circumvent the space limitation.

I'll post a short guide in a couple of minutes.
  3. entmike

entmike New Member

Just did it on my iPod using terminal. Works great:

Code:
    mkdir /private/var/Applications
    cp -Rp /Applications/* /private/var/Applications/
    cd /
    rm -Rf /Applications
    ln -s /private/var/Applications/ /Applications
    reboot

Before I rebooted, I did the following to make sure I had the symlink:
    ls -l | more

EDIT: Use swedishviking's guide below, much more thorough:

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. swedishviking

swedishviking New Member

HOW-TO: Get around the application space limit your Touch:

NOTE: This guide assumes you have jailbreaked your iPod touch and installed the necessary Unix binaries, either manually or by using some sort of semi-automated/automated jailbreak method.

WARNING: Although this seems to work just as intended, it's not been tested for more than a number of hours, meaning that it's entirely possible it could somehow break in the future. Therefore, only do this at your own risk!

SSH into your iPod touch using the SSH client of your choice; I recommend putty, which you can download at http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Move your applications folder to the /private/var folder by typing the following:

Code:
    mv /Applications /private/var/Applications
    Change directory to / by typing

Code:
    cd /
    Create a symbolic link to the Applications folders new location:

Code:
    ln -s /private/var/Applications Applications
    Type the following to get a directory list of /, so we can make sure the symbolic link was created correctly:

Code:
    ls -la
    In the list that comes up, you should have an entry similar to this one:

Code:
    lrwxr-xr-x  1 root admin   25 Oct 12 22:31 Applications -> /private/var/Applications
    6. Alright, seems like it worked.. Now all you have to do is reboot your iPod touch! Do that now.

7. To further make sure it's working correctly for you, enter the Installer app and check the available space at the bottom. It should be higher than it was previously, as you've moved away all space-intensive apps. Try installing an app larger than 1MB (MobileChat for example) to see that the amount of available space stays the same.

8. Done! Install away!
  5. mahger

mahger New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks for the guide swedishviking, increased my space by about 35mb.
  6. swedishviking

swedishviking New Member

No no, you've misunderstood.

Your application space is now only limited by your main space limitations, i.e up towards 14-15 gigs.

The available space displayed in the Installer.app is incorrectly reported after performing above patch and won't be updated/changed when you install new apps..
  7. dimdig23

dimdig23 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    thanks, i will wait a little while to make shure that this wont kill your ipod
  8. xxdesmus

xxdesmus New Member

@swedishviking

Great guide. Thanks. One of the devs walked me through this same process on IRC the other night. Glad to see you made an easy to use guide though. Very helpful!

FYI, this doesn't mess up anything as far as I can tell. I did this 3 days ago, and I haven't ran into any problems. *knocks on wood*
  9. yongyut

yongyut New Member

I just tried that out on my iPod touch, firmware 1.1.1 but almost bricked it!!
    This is what happened:
    1. Step 2: The mv-command via Putty didn't work: "cross-device link" error. So I manually copied the Applications folder to my desktop, deleted it on the iPod and then copied it back to the new location in private/var.
    2. The other steps worked fine.
    3. After rebooting all the icons appeared normally and everything seemd OK but when tapping on any icon the app starts with a blank screen and after a while shuts down by itself. I can't enter any app, and also Music, Photos etc. don't work. A second reboot also didn't help.
    4. Luckily I had Wi-Fi enabled so it automatically reconnected after rebooting, and I tried to undo everything i.e. copying the Applications folder back to its original location etc. But after another reboot the same problems as above. I could sync with iTunes though and as a last option I decided to do a restore to be on the safe side. Now I have to start everything again (touchFree, reinstall everything etc. etc.)
    5. If hadn't left Wi-Fi activated I would have been forced to do the restore because at that point the iPod was practically bricked.
    So did anyone experience similar things and what is the exact cause of that problem. Maybe the above instructions aren't enough and some more modifications in Unix have to be done.
  10. The Wildstar

The Wildstar New Member

Does this mean we we will have the Applications in 2 places now??? Can we delete the old Applications folder?