iPhone 3G Getting iPhone 3G from another person.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tikiman11, Dec 27, 2008.

1. tikiman11

tikiman11 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    The title doesn't make much sense, but here's the deal. I went to buy the iPhone from apple, I have the upgrade eligibility and all, but I'm on a family plan, so in order to get it at the 299 price, I would need to be put on my own plan and that was out of the question. I have a friend who will be getting AT&T soon, and he plans to get the iphone for the 299 price and give it to me.

My question is: Will the iPhone work on my plan with my 3G Sim card(I've heard yes's and no's) and will my friend be able to use a different phone with his same 3G Sim card?

I don't see why this wouldn't be possible, considering you can upgrade your current plan at the higher price. Sorry if I am being unclear. Thanks for any help.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Update. Is the upcomming quickpwn soft-unlock going to make this possible?
  2. tikiman11

tikiman11 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Bump. My friend is leaving town soon and i could really use an answer. I DID put my card in my aunt's iPhone yesterday, and it worked(Her SIM worked in my phone as well.) Can i just get a second conformation on this? Thanks!
  3. willie69

willie69 New Member

I have 2 at&t accts! One I started to get the IPhone and the other tied with my Ex-wife! She gets the bill as she is the acct holder. My sim from the other phone works in my IPhone! I would have to say you'll be ok! At least as far as the phone functioning anyway.
    I hope I have helped!
  4. tikiman11

tikiman11 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Thanks, that is reassuring! One other question. Do you have data on that other plan, and if so, does it work?
  5. Baggy Spandex

Baggy Spandex Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    if you have the turbosim or simunlock thing, you can use the normal 3g data plan which is like 10 a month/unlimited. you have to pay 400 or 500 though for the phone. i tried my friends blackberry sim card with 3g and all i got was edge
  6. tikiman11

tikiman11 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Yeah, im not worried about the price of the phone. The upcomming 3G dev-team unlock should do the same thing as simunlock or turbosim right?
  7. lilballer123

lilballer123 New Member

Yeah! But you have to be on version 2.1 and its coming out in TWO dayys!!!
  8. tikiman11

tikiman11 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Sweet! Thanks for all the help guys.

Please Register or Log in to view images