Getting installer to recognise applications installed through SFTP

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by Vyze, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Vyze

Vyze New Member

It's a long-shot for a problem that doesn't really exist, but is there a way to make Installer to run a check on all the apps in the /Applications directory and check whether or not they match up to any of the applications in the current Sources list?

I re-installed a few apps after the 1.1.2 upgrade using SFTP, and it's just sort of bugging me that they aren't listed in Installer to be uninstalled, or simply removed from the Sources list when I'm browsing for new things to download.
  2. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you look at the var/root/Library/Installer directory, you will see among others:
    • LocalPackages.plist
    • RemotePackages.plist
    They contain the instructions to install the applications. RemotePackages contains the list of the applications collected in the repositories and which is refreshed so annoyingly often - Sources in the Installer would be stored in the two other files, PackageSources.plist and TrustedSources.plist I guess.

When you install a file, its part is copied from RemotePackages to the end of LocalPackages. So not only does it show you how to install packages, but I wouldn't be surprised you can also use it to trick Installer into believing it installed some applications itself.

Make sure to keep a backup before messing with those files etc... but you know that

Please Register or Log in to view images

And let us know if you succeed!
  3. Vyze

Vyze New Member

That's awesome, thanks. I was wondering why everything I had tried installing over SFTP wasn't working! I'm meeting some buddies tomorrow, and I need to impress them with some good ol' Sam 'n' Max on ScummVM.

Though it all looks a bit complicated to be fudging around with some xml, so I'll play it safe for now and just use my horribly slow wireless with Installer for the time being. Maybe in a couple of days when I get a break and have time to back everything up.

4. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I just realized there's a big cache for the Installer too, not sure what it's all about:

/private/var/root/Library/Caches/Installer

There are a lot of binary .plist there, maybe I'll have a look at it later.
  5. zipezapehape

zipezapehape New Member

any updates on this? I'm new to all this .plist stuff and was wondering if someone could give me some instructions on how to make installer recognize the apps.
  6. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    a plist is basically the way apple stores settings/information on the ipod. To open one, you usually have to run it through this: here