Getting Genius Playlists to Work

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by mce0004, Sep 10, 2008.

1. mce0004

mce0004 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    [TUTORIAL] iPod Touch and Genius Playlists!

This thread is a how-to for all the people who cant get genius play-list to work on their ipod touches.
    ok well....​

FIRST​

Create you genius playlist on your iTunes...
    It will slowly gather all the information in your iTunes library and then send all the information to apple! After thats done you will receive your genious playlist info from apple and you can use it!

Please Register or Log in to view images

SECOND​

All you have to do to use Genius playlist on you iPod Touch is, UPGRADE TO 2.1
    For me to get this to work i just deleted one song off my ipod. Then copied it back on... it should take a bit longer when copying it back on because it is starting up genius playlists.​

The Genius playlist icon should then appear in your playlists...​

Choose your song...​

And your done

Happy genius-ing!​

Attached Files:

2. mlangebln

mlangebln New Member

Great, thank you very much, that works for me too. I just added some songs to my iPod.
    Michael
  3. bridaw

bridaw Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Good post, nice pictures.

Some folks have more variables in the process than others. I followed all the the correct steps (and a bunch of workarounds) and I still had issues getting genius to work on my ipod even though it was working in iTunes on my MBP.

I manually manage all media on all my pods and not all the source media is on one mac.

I did NOT have to disable the manual sync (as I have seen suggested) to finally get genius working on my touch. I keep all my ipod touch application files in my mac book pro itunes library but no ipod video games, very small subset of music and no videos.

All of my master music, video & 5th gen ipod game files live in my mac mini itunes library. Genius would not work on the touch until I synced with itunes on my mini.

When it works, the process is simple. I understand firsthand though that some people are still going to have trouble getting it to work. itunes uploads and downloads genius data and probably shoves a portion of it to the ipod for this genius feature to work on the ipod.

Maybe 100% of the music that is on the ipod must be found in the itunes library before genius will work correctly on the ipod?
  4. BangBangYourDead

BangBangYourDead New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i, for some odd reason, took all my music off my iPod,
    and that made mine work