Getting External Drive, which one?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by uber hax, Dec 9, 2008.

1. uber hax

uber hax Guest

what are your opinions on this? i need an external drive and figured i would get a nice one, and this has a very intruiging price.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3326551&Sku=M261-8180

Any opinions on this one or a similar HD would be very helpful. thanks.

oh, and one more question. I reade about SATA connections and how much faster they are than USB. i dont have a SATA cable on my computer. Is there any way for me to go from USB to SATA and get the SATA speed?
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Anything from Western Digital I love. All I have are WD Drives actually.

eSata is what you're looking for and no, there is no USB to SATA because SATA's speed is 3.2 GB. You can't make USB go that fast. USB 3.0 maybe, but no the current USB.
  3. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  4. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What i would actually reccomend is a Western Digital(WD) Passport drive. They have 500GB ones now and ive seen em for like $120 or less. Yes they are a bit more expensive then the regular desktop externals but they require no external power. The little extra cost is well worth the ability to take that much data with you wherever you go.
  5. JohnyW

JohnyW New Member

I don't know why, but I have had nothing with bad luck with WD drives. They never sync properly, they are always faulty, and my mother lost data off of hers. Idk, maybe it's just me. Anyway, I'm a good fan of Lacie or Seagate drives. They are high quality, usually pretty cheap (Seagates) and I find them very dependable. I've never heard of the company you want to buy from so I can't really say they are good or bad.
  6. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i got only WD drives and u wouldn't get the added speed of SATA if u got a usb to sata dongle if they even make them?
  7. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  8. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Leave it to Apple to not only price them wrongly, but overprice them.
  9. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    The only dead hard drives I ever had are Western Digital.

I got my 250 GB Seagate 2.5 external hard drive, at Best Buy for $99 on sale.

I have old-er "Cheetah" Seagate hard drives in my "homebrew" PC.

I also replace old-er PC hard drives with used Seagate after testing the sectors, etc. I have never found a bad Seagate hard drive.
  10. uber hax

uber hax Guest

i checked out the Western digitals, i think i would rather get 500 more gigs for 20 less $ and suffer with the power cord.