Getting Apps/Themes Onto Jailbroken iPod WITHOUT WiFi?

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by DrScareCrow, Apr 6, 2009.

1. DrScareCrow

DrScareCrow New Member

I'm new to iPods. Hell, I'm new to Apple. I've been a Microsoft user my entire life, and I was somewhat shocked when I decided to buy a $247 iPod Touch 2.2.1. So one day I was randomly on Google and saw something about jailbreaking. I looked it up, and, after many, many screw ups, finally jailbroke my iPod Touch. After that, I wondered, 'How do I customize this like so many people have said I could?'

I've looked a lot into this. Through all the internet blogs and forums, I've come up with a gazillion things that "will" get apps I want onto my iPod Touch: iGopher, iFunBox, WinSCP, SSH, etc. etc. iGopher I couldn't use because I didn't know crap about directories, but then again it may not be compatible with 2nd Gen. iFunBox looked promising, but when I tried putting the NES app onto it, it doesn't show up on my Touch. I haven't a clue about WinSCP and SSH, and when I tried looking up if it was possible to put apps onto my Touch without WiFi, some sources said it wasn't. At all. Nada.

Isn't there an easier way to get customization and apps and whatnot onto my iPod Touch other than a knee-high pile of programs that I barely know how to use? I've heard that you can't access the internet through a USB port except through SSH, and even that I can't do (iPod Touch Browser refuses to work, and I've downloaded it twice, different sources).

I have an iPod Touch 2.2.1, I have no WiFi (at least not conveniently. I suppose I can go to a coffee shop or something), and I'm using WindowsXP.
  2. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Use Total Commander with the T-Pot plugin. Google it. Or you could create an ad-hoc network from your wired connection. Google that too.
  3. limisopop

limisopop New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Easiest Way (in my opinion)

Use something called iPhoneBrowser. I don't use openssh, wifi, etc. All you need to do is download that program and have your ipod plugged.

To get themes without wifi, download any random theme from here. Drag the theme file into Library>Themes in iPhoneBrowser. It's as simple as that

Please Register or Log in to view images

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I know it's a little vague but you should understand it.

Here is the link to download: http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/downloads/list

I know what it's like without wi-fi

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Look here. I also provided the .deb files to some of the apps and a short description on how to unpack them.
  5. Kid Dynomite

Kid Dynomite New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So I just drag the theme folder into library and it syncs itslef to my touch?
  6. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    No. Place it in Library/Themes/ once in there you can go to winterboard and select it.
  7. Kid Dynomite

Kid Dynomite New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Do i put the ZIP file or extract it first?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    It's not working it just goes back to regular ipod theme
  8. DrScareCrow

DrScareCrow New Member

There is no Themes folder.. this may sound stupid, but do I create my own?

And to MikeC: I downloaded openSSH, but I'm not a command prompt person (I think they hate me..), and it really is difficult for me. I got stuck at mkgroup and mkpasswd.. And yes, I've been looking up how to do it. It's taken me an hour just to get to step 3 (I'm telling you, command prompts hate me.)