Getting an ipod wednesday, need some advice

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chipster, Mar 22, 2010.

1. chipster

chipster New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey guys, I am getting a new ipod touch 8GB 3G on Wednesday. Yay! Well I have some concerns. So I have been reading a lot about blackrain, greenposion, tethered/untethered, blah blah blah. Well, since you guys are experts here and I just started finding info on the ipod I would appreciate if you guys could share any tips with me. First my biggest concern is that if I open the box and it's a 3.1.3 model...am I screwed? Or can I use the ipt 2G 3.1.2 firmware and downgrade it, then hack it (and if I do that, will it become untethered?) Then, should I install cydia, or rock, or icy, or all 3, 2 of them or just 1? And if there are any things I should know about the ipt and about jailbreaking which is really important or useful, I would truly appreciate it if you could share your knowledge with me. Well thanks a lot everyone, I appreciate your help!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Yes, you can downgrade to 3.1.2 like you previously said. No, it's impossible for you to be untethered at this moment. Icy was discontinued...
  3. chipster

chipster New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Oh wow, so out of the box if its a 3.1.3 I can downgrade?? That's amazing! Then how come I often see threads where people recently bought an ipod, it has 3.1.3 and they can't downgrade it. Thanks for your help!
  4. Dumbledore

Dumbledore Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    that's because the 8gig version has different hardware in it, that make possible downgrade using 2g fw xD
  5. chipster

chipster New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    yay! thanks! any other helpful advice would be much appreciated!
  6. -lkv-

-lkv- New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    thats pretty much it. they got to me before i could write something
  7. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Only if it is an 8GB model

32GB and 64GB models are not compatible with 2G firmware and cannot downgrade unless you backed up your SHSH certificates on cydia (which you obliviously didn't since it is brand new)

Only use cydia, rock causes alot of issues, it will rape your ipod from the inside out

a full untethered jailbreak will most likely be released on june/july (so dont worry if your ipod is a 32/64gb model)
  8. -lkv-

-lkv- New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)

no youre wrong!
    greenpois0n is the full untethered jailbreak which is supposedly coming out when ipad is release with the 4.0 or 3.2 and it will jailbreak all models.
  9. chipster

chipster New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    wow I can't wait for that. So if I use blackrain now temporarily as I wait for the untethered jailbreak, is there any risk? Like, will I be able to easily uninstall blackrain and its components and utilize the new jailbreak? Thanks!

EDIT: 1 more thing, is 3.1.2 for the 2g same as 3.1.2 for the 3g? Thanks!
  10. -lkv-

-lkv- New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    its easy to uninstall blackra1n and 2g and 3g firmware are different. i considered using ipod touch 2g 3.1.2 firmware instead.