Getting an iPod Soon

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kn0wnTooWeLL, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Kn0wnTooWeLL

Kn0wnTooWeLL New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay... I'm getting an iPod for Christmas (which may be soon, or not soon in your opinion) and I don't know well.. what to do with it yet. I already downloaded iTunes and got.. one song. It's going to be a 8GB because I don't listen to 1000 songs like most of you. I want to Jailbreak it, but what firmware version is the best to run iPod on? And, for the version, what Jailbreaking software/website do you suggest and does it have a high rate of breaking my iPod?

It's probably going to be a First Generation iPod because my mom is pretty cheap... and I do not have a job yet because I have to play the cello for long amounts of the day due to the fact my... mother... is... cheap... and will not send me to college without a scholarship lol.

Oh, and, what apps do you suggest to get from the App Store and after it (if it does) gets Jailbroken.
  2. HeavyComponent

HeavyComponent Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Getting my first iTouch this Christmas as well. I'm will be getting the 2G iTouch.
  3. Kn0wnTooWeLL

Kn0wnTooWeLL New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I hope that I will eventually get a 2G. I might get one for Christmas - but as I said my mom wants to retain as much money as possible on random fun material objects.
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. Don't underestimate how much your mom loves you. I'm sure she's doing what she can afford to. Times are hard. Respect your parents.

2. You can jailbreak 1st Gen iPod Touch, you can't yet jailbreak the 2nd gen, yet.

3. The latest firmware is version 2.2 and there is a jailbreak for it, though some report issues with firmware 2.2 so my advice is to install f/w 2.1 and jailbreak that. There are two specific sub-forums dedicated to the 2.2 and 2.1 jailbreaks. Make sure you read up on jailbreaking, using WinSCP, Cydia etc before you jump in and do it.

4. You will find all the guides you will ever need on the ipodtouchfans forum to help you jailbreaking etc. Use the search function and spend some time getting used to the forums, their layout and some of the more important threads. Always browse all the stickied threads in each and every forum before you even consider posting again.

5. As for recommended apps - again there are plenty of threads around detailing the best Appstore and Cydia apps to use... again check the relevant sub-forums, look around and search. Here's one to get you started: appstore apps
  5. Kn0wnTooWeLL

Kn0wnTooWeLL New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Oh, wow, thanks for that link. I re-pre-made my list of what I'm going to put on my iPod now. But, now I'm going to have to ask my sister to open a iTunes account for me... and put five dollars onto it. Thanks for the help, Studangerous.
  6. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Also note that in iTunes you can view recommended apps, top paid or free apps as well as editor choices, so there's lots of info there too.

A few more ideas:

Good free apps: Facebook, Stanza, Google Earth;
    Good free games: Cube, Cannon Game, Trace;

Good paid appstore apps: WunderRadio, eWallet, iFutbol, Feeds, GPS Kit, ComicZeal;
    Good paid games: Spore, Sextuple Word Challenge, THTouch, Enigmo, Fieldrunners, Quick Draw;

Good Cydia apps: iComic, Bossprefs, Winterboard, MxTube, MobileFinder, dTunes, Mewseek, PwnPlayer, ruBooks.
  7. kixphlat

kixphlat Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    You forgot SBSettings
  8. Flipzter

Flipzter Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Really nice posts there stud. Even gave me some info to try out a few new apps/games.