Getting an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DJ Xander, Aug 6, 2008.

1. DJ Xander

DJ Xander New Member

I have a friend in Italy who I think will be willing to send me an iPhone 3G 16GB (White).

My questions are:

- When he buys it, does he have to sign up for a contract?

- I've heard some iPhone 3G's come "legally" unlocked due to their locations, would this apply to an Italian iPhone 3G?

- Also, what are the prices of iPhones in Italy? I read Vodafone had it for 149 euros which is only $230 or so.

If I get good feedback from you guys, and my iPhone works out smoothly, I might be able to get several more for you iPod touch Fans users =]
  2. 11hawkinst

11hawkinst New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    According to this site, they sell them unlocked, but you still need to sign up for a 2 year contract. This would be via a carrier called TIM.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Okay, just looked at TIM's site and I found that they sell and 8G for €499 and 16G for €569. Unfortunatly, I just looked at Vodaphone Italy's site and it's the same price for a locked phone.

I don't think this will work out the way you had hoped for! In most cases, even if the iPhone is unlocked, it will probably cost more than it would here in the States.
  3. DJ Xander

DJ Xander New Member

Darn...

Well I might get it off eBay then, it's cheaper and no contract. I wish I could just switch to AT&T but I JUST got an LG Voyager (in the beginning of July) and am locked in with Verizon for 2 years...

If I deactivated and sold my Voyager, does anyone know if I can drop my plan to pretty much minimal, as it is a family plan with 3 other phones. I'm thinking, remove all texting, and let my family adjust the minutes, etc.

Or am I totally wrong?
  4. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

Exactly. To bad there is the hassle of contacts and unlocking in America.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    There is a website where people who want to switch carriers post and then take over each others contracts.
  6. DJ Xander

DJ Xander New Member

Holy crap, that is awesome! Link please?
    EDIT: I found the site, it seems 50/50 legit, I like the idea, the only problem is that the phone is on a family plan with 3 other phones, so unless they want to pay for all the phone, it won't work.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Update guys, the cheapest place in the world to get it right now is in Germany, which sells it unlocked and for around 240 USD$. My girlfriend stayed with a family in Germany so I think THEY might be able to get me an iPhone, or several

Please Register or Log in to view images

Anyone know the requirements to get an iPhone in Germany? Contract, etc?