Getting a used Mac, Help Me!

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by BigDaveyJ, Feb 22, 2008.

1. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, im getting a used Mac, i have a pc right now, and i want a good computer for little under 1000. I want to know, since ill be using it for school, social, and ipod touch modding, what should i get? any ideas on how many gigs, a reliable website for purchase, and just about what you think i should get, type and all of that. Thanks!
  2. GeorgeGabriel

GeorgeGabriel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    You can get used and refurbished Macs for good prices off the apple website.

If you're after a cheap option, opt for the Mac Mini. It's an excellent machine, 80GB hard drive as well. Brand new it's $600.
  3. tootricky

tootricky New Member

Get yourself a refurb macbook. Does everything you want, is powerful enough.. and can be transported.
  4. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

ditto. You can get a brand new Macbook for just over a grand. Yu can probably find a great used core duo macbook on ebay for almost half of that..
  5. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Dude thanks, thats going to be awesome to get, also its true about your signature
  6. thesmidge

thesmidge New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    If you really have some time on your hands, you could build a Hackintosh. Google it, there are tutorials everywhere. It allows you to use Leopard software on a cheapass PC. It requires a lot of hard modding, but equals to about 700 bucks (depending on which machine you buy+Leopard (or borrow from a friend)+extra bits and pieces. Happy hacking!

EDIT: I found a link for you http://lifehacker.com/software/hack-attack/build-a-hackintosh-mac-for-under-800-321913.php

PS: Mac's rock, I have an old PPC G5 and it still works magnificently
  7. parak33t

parak33t New Member

I wish I could find a decent priced G4 laptop. People are crazy asking 850$ for a used 1.5GHZ 80GB HDD G4 laptop. Or how about 550$ for a old as* G3 laptop just because it has some things like titanium toast...I mean I can find used macbook on craigslist for 850$ (maybe more like 900$ but still its a macbook.) I wold love to get myself a mac I just have to find one.