Getting a Mac Mini, will I have ANY trouble Developing?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by bamhm182, Mar 7, 2009.

1. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey, I just want reassurance that if I get a new Mac Mini that I'll be able to develop games with the SDK. So if I were to get the $600 version, would I run into any problems?

Also, I'm only 16 years old, if I wanted to upload the games to the App Store, would I run into problems because of my age?

What all do you need? I think I know everything, but I just want to make sure.

What I'm assuming/know you need:
    A good Intel Mac
    the iPhone SDK
    A Paypal account with a bank account linked to it
    Leopard

Has anyone here had many problems with developing or uploading games to the app store, if so, what?

Thanks in advance.
  2. macfanboy

macfanboy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I think you need to be 18 inorder to be able to get Paypal...i guess u can use ur parents
  3. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Well do you have coding experience? Xcode? cocoa?
  4. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

sigh...xcode is an ide, not a language.
  5. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I haven't coded too much, I'm sure I'd be able to learn though, I made a very basic app in XNA, but that's about it.. Is there any other way that they can pay you, or is it just paypal?
  6. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I don't think they pay you through paypal, do they? I thought it just goes straight yo your bank account. You'll have to ask spmeone who already has a Developers License about that.
  7. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Do you know who has one so I could shoot them some questions?
  8. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Well gojohnnyboi, skylar, joshuacaputo to name a few most of the amazing devs
  9. bindle

bindle Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Apple deposit and wire payments directly into your bank account. No paypal etc. If you're under 18, I'm sure you can get a parent to register under & set up banking..

But trust me, worry about learning to code before worrying about the App Store business.

Only apply for the developer program once you're comfortable with writing apps for the iPhone and are confident you'll have something worthwhile to contribute. It'd be a waste of the $99 to buy your license and then decide after a few weeks it's not your thing.

The new Mac Mini is the same specs as the current MacBook, so you should have no problem coding on it. I develop on my MacBook all the time with no problems.

For now, just get your Mac Mini and get into it. The SDK is free to download and play around with & there are plenty of books & tutorials to get you started. I spent around two months learning and writing my first app before I even felt the need to apply to the developer program, so just put your priorities into developing before worrying about $.
  10. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks, that was my plan anyways, I just forgot to say so. I'm going to make at least a few worth while apps/games before spend the 100 bucks. I MIGHT buy it after I'm certain it is my thing though so I cam mess with it on my iPod and send it to my friends and what not.