Getting a Mac Mini and a few quesitons about it

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by FruitRocks, Jul 4, 2009.

1. FruitRocks

FruitRocks New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I don't have enough money to spend $1,200 on an iMac, but I thought that I would like to get a Mac Mini (at MicroCenter there is a huge deal where you can get them for $400, which is about $200 off). I would be mainly using it for Adobe Photoshop and Final Cut Studio, plus iTunes. How would the performance compare to a low-end iMac, or even a low-end Windows computer? I don't want to buy the highest-end Mac Mini, but what I would like to do is slowly upgrade the parts as I get the money for them. Do I have to buy Apple-specific RAM, or can I buy third-party RAM (i.e. Windows). Also, does the mac mini support a Dual-Layer SuperDrive? For people who own Mac Minis or Macs in general, what are some things that I should know about buying them?

Thanks!
  2. SeeFreaky

SeeFreaky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Third party ram should be fine, but it has to be the same type of ram. Also, the Mac Mini isn't very easy to upgrade. You'll have to crack open the case in order to do so, and it should support the SuperDrive, but again, you'll have to get it preinstalled from apple.