Getting a laptop, help?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by dodgy, Mar 29, 2009.

1. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Hey, I'm going to go and get a laptop in the next few days. I have a few questions:

1. If I decide to get a normal laptop, I want minimum 2GB ram and 100GB of space and price no higher than £450.

What would you guys recommend? Some links would be appreciated

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. If I decide to get a mini laptop. I want minimum 1GB ram, 100GB of space and price no higher than £250.

What would you recommend? Also, I found a couple, and one of them had Linux installed. If I wanted to install Windows on it, is that advisable? And is it pretty easy?

Thanks guys.
  2. berky93

berky93 New Member

well it depends on what you want to use it for. if you really NEED portability, a mini laptop (EG: a netbook) may be best for you. but if you dont absolutely need extreme portability, then a regular laptop is best.

and that doesnt mean it wont be easily portable. you could get something with a smaller screen, like 12 inch or so, and it wouldn't sacrifice performance in any way.

is there anything specific you are looking for? something for music, graphic design, maybe just general business? that would help narrow it down.

oh, and done get a dell. I have had 3 dell computers and they all broke really fast. HP is pretty high quality, and I've heard good things about sony, and toshiba.
  3. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Hey,

I'm basically just going to use for normal day to day stuff. i.e. music, movies, browsing the internet, msn. nothing that requires too much memory or a good graphics card (no games lol)

That's all I'm going to use it for really...
    thanks for the reply
  4. Andrew2

Andrew2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'd go with the "normal" (since thats what ur calling it) laptop It will allow you to do more

as for the linux unless you know what you are doing when it comes to linux i would suggest you stay away from it and go with windows as inexperienced users have more help with it
  5. berky93

berky93 New Member

I'd go check out some of the manufacturer websites, and look at the different features and specs of each laptop in your range of prices/functions. you will definitely be able to find multiple reviews of each one with google, and you will probably be able to find helpful comparisons as well. it might also help you to ask the guys at a local electronics store.

and think about what features you want. a tv tuner? maybe enhanced security? better wireless? those are usually individual options when you buy a computer
  6. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
  7. .Pandora.

.Pandora. Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That would be fine with what you are doing. Really anything is fine for you. You aren't dong any CPU heavy things so really just those 2 requirements you set foe yourself are fine. If you want it I would take it, I would find one for you but I don't know any UK sites.
  8. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Ah, thanks man. Yeah I think I'm gonna go for this one I think. If you just give me the models of the ones you might want to recommend I'll find the UK sites?

Thanks anyway for your help, appreciated.
  9. breakkdown

breakkdown Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ubuntu on a netbook should be fine for you, unless you need to run some windows programs without linux equivalents.
  10. .Pandora.

.Pandora. Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Okay so I found 3 for you....

One is a 17", 4GB of ram, 160GB but I really don't recommend it..... But I mean if all you are going to be doing is watching movies, playing music, and browsing the web you might like it.........

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152101

(It's a MSI VR705 NoteBook, $650 USD, $455 British Pounds)

And I like this one better... It has a 15.6" Screen, 250GB HDD, and 2GB of RAM....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146530

(It's a lenovo 3000 N Series N500, $600 USD, 419 British Pounds)

As for Netbooks,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220504

It has 1GB of RAM, 10" Screen, and a 160GB HDD

(It's an ASUS Eee PC EPC1000HE-BLK005X, $390 USD, 272 British Pounds)