Get your TV onto the iPod Touch (for Mac OSX Users)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by scrytch, Oct 1, 2007.

1. scrytch

scrytch New Member

Just wanted to let everyone know about how I get my TV onto my touch (seeing as Australia doesn't have iTunes TV/Movies yet), and have it come up with all of the metadata you need to have it categorized properly... and boy does it work well!

First step is to get your TV show onto your system. There are legal ways (iTunes in the USA & now UK - then you don't need this guide), semi legal ways (DVD's ripped using Handbrake), and then there are non-legal ways (ie "*******TV")

Please Register or Log in to view images

One you have your show, we need to convert it and tag it.

Tools you Need.
    1. iSquint (free) or preferably VisualHub
    2. MetaX

What to do.
    1. Convert your show from non-iPod format to iPod format using iSquint or VisualHub. VisualHub will give you more control of the resultant output (just choose "Optimize for iPod Touch" and go).
    2. Do a search on your show on IMDB so you have things like the Actors, Producers etc.
    3. Do a search using Google for Images of the show's DVD cover or poster (e.g. Battlestar Galactica)
    4. Open MetaX, and drag the file you want to add info to onto it.
    5. Fill out the details as follows:

Info Tab
    Title: Episode Name
    Artist: Actors (seperated by commas)
    Date: Date of screening (only if you want to)
    Rating: Censorship rating
    Description: Put in a description of the show and/or episode
    Image: Drag and drop your image you got from Google onto the cow.

Video Tab
    Video Kind: TV Show
    Director/Producer/Cast/Screenwriter: Fill in if you have the details
    Show: Show Name (ie Battlestar Galactica)
    Season: Season number
    Episode: Episode number

If you are going to do a number of episodes of the same show, at this point I recommend you hit the "Presets" button and hit the "+", and type in the name of the show. Next time you add an episode you can hit presets and click on the show name and it will add the show info and show graphic - then you just change the details that are different (such as episode Title, episode number & description).

You can queue up a number of shows/episodes to process by dragging and dropping more videos. Then you just hit "Write". Once complete (the cow moo's) you can then go to iTunes, and choose "Add to Library" and point it at the files you just made. In a few moments they'll all be in iTunes (and sync'd to your shiny new Touch) in the TV Shows category.

Just like a bought one!

Regards,
    Shane.

Note: This is a copy of a post I made over on the Mactalk.com.au forums, but thought it might be of interest over here too.
  2. Tariomaster

Tariomaster Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've looking all over for this!!!
  3. pitch

pitch New Member

Shane, Great post many thanks,

Quick question - I use ISquint to convert movie files to my video ipod, if I do this on the new Ipod Touch does the screen size auto configure ? How does it look ?

Thanks,

Mark
  4. scrytch

scrytch New Member

Mark,

You'll get an "OK" result but probably not as high rez as the Touch can support. The best output comes from VisualHub, as it has a dedicated iPod Touch optimization that works perfectly, however then you have to buy the software (which I personally find invaluable).

Regards,
    Shane.
  5. jmiz9000

jmiz9000 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    how about windows
  6. lethalfrog

lethalfrog New Member

Another and easier way but does cost money.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I have an EyeTV and turbo264 (this helps my little 1.25Ghz G4).

EyeTV records whatever digital terrestrial television you want, have a quick tidy up of any adverts and then export to iPhone.

I can export a 30 min program in about 25 mins so great for recording a program getting it ripped and onto the touch for the morning.

There are Windows based DTV receivers and there is a product called TV-to-Go that speeds up x264 encodes
  7. Dovergeek

Dovergeek New Member

8. lethalfrog

lethalfrog New Member

9. scrytch

scrytch New Member

Yes - but recording television on your Mac and using their software to put it into iTunes (whilst a valid option) is a different discussion to what I have brought up.

This topic is for people that own TV Shows on DVD or other videos they have obtained elsewhere (legally or illegally) that may be in a non-iPod compatible format. It is also mostly about putting the correct meta data into the file so iTunes, iPod, Apple TV, Front Row etc all detect that information and use it to present your videos in a more elegant manner.

Regards,
    Shane.
  10. scrytch

scrytch New Member

Windows is not as easy unfortunately, but there are some programs available. Two free utilities that are available are:

1. Video Conversion - Videora for iPod Touch

2. Meta Data - iPodTVShow

Most of my instructions should work similarly, although you won't have the same options (and iPodTVShow lacks alot of Meta data fields).

Regards,
    Shane.