Get the Rep Flowing

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Danls92, May 8, 2008.

1. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    We've had the rep system in place for a good couple of months now, and I figured I'd give a bit of input into how I think the system should be used. Sorry if I sound preachy or anything, you're more than welcome to ignore me

Please Register or Log in to view images

Reasons to Give Positive Rep
    The way I see it, there are 2 major reasons why you should give somebody rep.

1) Because they make an excellent post
    Some posts just stand out from the crowd, whether they are very helpful, present novel ideas, are funny, or are just good in general. The way I see it is that if a post does what it means to do (solve a problem, answer a question) it deserves to be repped.

2) They try very hard, even if they don't get something spot
    Not everybody is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge, so I don't think somebody should get penalized for getting something wrong if they are trying to help. Now I'm not saying you should just throw out random solutions until one works, but if you see somebody making a strong effort, show them some appreciation.

Reasons to give Negative Rep
    I don't think that there are too many times when negative rep are necessary, but there is one exception to this.

1) People that are being malicious
    Some people just love being mean, weren't hugged enough as a kid, or love the feeling of being able to say things with no repercussions. If somebody is flaming others non-stop, and with obvious intent I feel they deserve some negative rep.

I see a bunch of posts about how people are getting repped down because other's don't like their avatar, their ideas, or just want to rep somebody down, and let me tell you that it is ruining the rep system for everybody. Don't use the rep system as a forum for flaming, use it for encouragement.

Rep as "Currency"
    This is another thing that bugs me. Rep is not something to be used for bartering (i.e. "Rep me and I'll give you this"), it is used to show your appreciation of a user's post, and anything else just cheapens the whole system. The whole concept of give me rep, I'll give you rep also tastes foul to me because all it is is people artificially inflating their rep.

Repping in General
    I've also noticed that people don't seem to rep others much, and when doing so they expect to be repped back. That isn't what the system is for! Don't ask for rep, if people think that you made a post that deserves it, you will receive it. Also, don't be stingy with rep, you might think that if you give out too much rep you will be left behind in points, but if everybody reps more then this won't happen.

Finally, unless you are repping with an inside joke or something of the sort, I don't think people should include their names in rep. Granted, I am guilty of this one too but I am stopping. The reason behind this is if you don't leave your name it doesn't bring the feeling of "well they repped me so I should probably rep them back" that people get.

As I said, these are just my thoughts, and I'd love to hear what you guys have to say on the topic, so post away!
    6 people like this.
  2. KhmerB10

KhmerB10 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    1 person likes this.
  3. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I agree with you in all aspects. I especially liked your point about "feeling obliged to rep back" when someone leaves a name. I an attest to this, as I have left my name on some of my reps, and others have left names when they have repped me. If its an inside joke or something disturbing, you should leave your name in order to avoid, er, "uneasiness". (As mentioned above.)

Great Thread.

(I would rep you, but I am unable at this time.)
    2 people like this.
  4. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yeah ditto. i am also gulity of the last one. but i like to give the names out so people know who sent them the rep.
    2 people like this.
  5. HotBrownies

HotBrownies New Member

this sounds a lot like the pm we had.

6. Danls92

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, it partially served as inspiration for this thread.
    1 person likes this.
  7. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Good thread, lets hope people listen to you lol

My pet peeve is the rep i get with comments like 'free rep - rep back (username)'

But then hey, I get rep, but I certainly don't rep them back LOL
    3 people like this.
  8. Danls92

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hey, they don't say "free rep- positive rep back"

9. Chucky102

Chucky102 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    yeah, nice thread and totally agree
  10. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I know a few members in for a pleasant surprise.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding...