Get the 3G or wait for the new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twigster9, Apr 7, 2009.

1. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    My families Verizon contract is going to end this month on the 15th I think. My mom said i could buy myself and iPhone when and if we switch to At&t. Do i get the 3G now or wait till June to get it? If i wait till June ill be phoneless till then. Also if i wait till June i may not a subsidized price on the new iPhone as its for new customers and iPhone owners.

Update: I caved in and got a 16GB 3G. Ill try to sell it a few days or a week or two before WWDC. If you look at 3G prices on Ebay there clsoe to 450+. 1st Gen prices on Ebay are steady too. I'm guessing ill get at least $300 for my 16GB 3G and break even.
  2. Unreal Boy

Unreal Boy Member

Device:
    iPad
    wait till june and be one of the first with the new iphone XD
  3. foog

foog New Member

get one now
  4. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    get the new iPhone when it comes

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Cyiber

Cyiber New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I would go ahead and buy one now.. You can always upgrade to the latest firmware once it comes out in June......

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think ill just wait. Its not too long away and im guessing it will have new features and better battery life.
  7. iMaztrr

iMaztrr Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I'd wait. then I'd have the choice of getting the expensive new model. or just get the 3g after it's price drops down about $80 a week after the new one comes out.
  8. fabiansti

fabiansti New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Get the new one man... just buy a prepaid cheap ass one ...doesn't matter its just temporary
  9. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I'm thinking the same thing. I'm already with AT&T and my upgrade becomes eligible April 23 but i might wait till June to check out the new one. It will probably still cost a billion dollars anyway even with the upgrade.
  10. adamgalas

adamgalas New Member

In the name of all that is good and just, don't get a 3G now!

From the daily leaks coming from analysis of the 3.0 OS beta it looks like the 3rd gen Iphone is going to have incredible new features such as augmented reality.

While Foog is correct that firmware is upgradable for free, Hardware is not.

Imagine how crappy you feel if it turns out that the coolest new features of the Iphone require the new hardware?

Or what about the battery life? It seems very likely that Apple is going to go OLED for screen backlight. This will essentially double the battery life.

And what about the higher resolution screen most people are expecting?

If it turns out that the Iphone V3 gets a high def, OLED screen, double the memory, a better 3.2 MP camera with Video recording and Augmented reality capability and you have the 2ng gen, well you won't sleep well at night and you certainly won't enjoy your phone as much.

Oh, don't forget that you would be locked into a 2 year contract with your current 3G Iphone, unable to upgrade for 2 years.

And don't let people tell you this one won't be subsidized.

The 3G is a smash hit and AT&T is making out like bandits as is Apple.

In this economy do you really think they will go back to charging $400 and $500/phone?

No, the price will remain the same, $200 and $300, with a 2 year contract.

You are lucky sir, to be in such a position. Only 59 days away from the launch of a the 3rd Gen. Seize the oppertunity or you will regret it for the next 2 years.